Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

Hi Mick. It seems to me increasingly important by the day as the tree canopy is becoming shrouded in ivy locally to me and probably all over the uk. Unless addressed nationally it grows worse by the day. We could be watching a slow car crash and not realising it. All the information online seems to simply regurgitate prior comments of old that ivy is not any threat and does not address the current evolving situation. I have not even been able to get definitive details of the species of ivies involved. Without this level of detail it will remain an unknown threat and one which needs urgent consideration. I trust you agree?

The following image is all ivy in a local deciduous copse!!!

453A3630-2723-4C23-AAF3-6D194BCFFD36.jpeg

12 minutes ago, CambridgeJC said:

I have not even been able to get definitive details of the species of ivies involved. Without this level of detail it will remain an unknown threat and one which needs urgent consideration.

What makes you think there is a new species of ivy which is causing problems? Have you spoken so somewhere like Kew?

I would guess that woodlands would have been more heavily managed in the past and ivy cut out, now it's just left or even left on purpose as more people realise how good it is for wildlife.

Edited by Paul in the woods
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, CambridgeJC said:

Hi Mick. It seems to me increasingly important by the day as the tree canopy is becoming shrouded in ivy locally to me and probably all over the uk. Unless addressed nationally it grows worse by the day. We could be watching a slow car crash and not realising it. All the information online seems to simply regurgitate prior comments of old that ivy is not any threat and does not address the current evolving situation. I have not even been able to get definitive details of the species of ivies involved. Without this level of detail it will remain an unknown threat and one which needs urgent consideration. I trust you agree?

The following image is all ivy in a local deciduous copse!!!

453A3630-2723-4C23-AAF3-6D194BCFFD36.jpeg

I don,t see it as the big problem you are making it out to be,it provides habitat for a whole host of wildlife including birds,bats,bees,butterflies,insects,etc,etc,doesn,t do harm to healthy trees,maybe looks unsightly at times,what,s the car crash we are heading for with it?

• Like 2

Ivy has benefited from climate change I reckon just from personal observation of its prevalance in hedges

Study on Ivy:

https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/fee.2266

UK has 2 natives sub species of ivy apparently: Hedera helix ssp. helix and Hedera helix ssp. hibernica.

Same as with there being two different hawthorns types

As for it being a urgent threat think its not that bad compared to other things happening etc?

Not as if its triffids? 😏

Edited by Stere
  • Like 4

Thanks guys. Just trying to obtain accurate information at the moment and finding it difficult. What species are involved with our countryside trees and hedgerows. Is it just helix? 
I am keen to get qualified expert opinion and you can consider me a concerned amateur with scientific background. First I need to understand the basic facts such as accurate species information. Only then can one start to understand the reality of any threat. My images would indicate a possible developing situation locally. 
By the way I fully appreciate the obvious contribution of ivies to fauna and other wildlife. May I also ask you to provide your own level of experience? What species would result in images that I am providing?  I am not suggesting any new species. Just trying to get my facts straight. Your help is really welcome. Thanks 

• Like 1

Nothing new, you’re just looking at it for the first time.

Ivy doesn’t overwhelm the crowns of living trees, I didn’t know that until it was pointed out by David Humphries on here. 
Once you know that it all becomes clear.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2