Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

Hi All,

I have vast quantities of ivy to get rid of. Any recommendations as to the best stuff to kill it?? Is glyphosate any good for it?? It is all over buildings, paths, everywhere..

What you all recommend..

Thank you

john..

Horrible war of attrition ahead then!

Try to find the main roots, cut and use ecoplugs or drill and pour in glyphosphate based killer maybe mixed with other - I’m sure someone on here with more knowledge than me will come up with some good names.

then start stripping off by hand, digging out small roots wherever you can. Wait a couple of weeks then repeat with all new growth and keep doing that again and again till it’s gone.

if it’s in the neighbours side it will come back so needs attention on their side too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, john87 said:

Hi All,

I have vast quantities of ivy to get rid of. Any recommendations as to the best stuff to kill it?? Is glyphosate any good for it?? It is all over buildings, paths, everywhere..

What you all recommend..

Thank you

john..

Find the biggest stem you can. Trace it back as far as you can. Kill it from that point.

Spraying is useless, the leaves have a waxy coating.

Best result ever I had was I severed the ivy on a riddled tree at vertical stem just above ground, wrapped duck tape tightly around the cut end to create a tube of tape above the cut then filled it with Glyphosate. Every last drop of Glyphosate was taken in. Beautiful. I've done this subsequently with stubborn Ash saplings (it only works with smooth bark where the tape can create a tight seal) and it works wonderfully. Don't think increasing the concentration of Glyphosate will help. Keep it dilute for maximum uptake. It will concentrate itself in the roots.

Edited by daltontrees
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

Find the biggest stem you can. Trace it back as far as you can. Kill it from that point.

Best result ever I had was I severed the ivy on a riddled tree at vertical stem just above ground, wrapped duck tape tightly around the cut end to create a tube of tape above the cut then filled it with Glyphosate. Every last drop of Glyphosate was taken in. Beautiful. I've done this subsequently with stubborn Ash saplings (it only works with smooth bark where the tape can create a tight seal) and it works wonderfully. Don't think increasing the concentration of Glyphosate will help. Keep it dilute for maximum uptake. It will concentrate itself in the roots.

should have keep that one to yourself. You could have bought 1000 duck tapes, rebranded them as Glyco tape and easily tagged on 300% to the RRP in this industry 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes i always thought that he stuff was resistant to weedkiller because of waxy coating. I have killed lots in the past by just cutting it as you say, seems to knock the life out of the rest..

If you cannor find the roots, say like ivy all over the ground and then up walls i suppose the only thing it to cut of as much as you can and treat the new growth..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daltontrees said:

Keep it dilute for maximum uptake. It will concentrate itself in the roots.

Yes too strong a solution can traumatise the local cells and prevent uptake.

@daltontrees did you ever use amonium sulfamate, I haven't on ivy but did use it successfully on an extensive bay coppice growing out of both sides of a wall.

The waxy leaf covering can be overcome by some extent by applying glyphosate in diesel and there is probably a vegetable oil available to use now.

• Like 1

Good thinking there.
No concerns about the glyphosate crossing over into the tree via the roots though? I thought that could be an issue in some cases.

16 hours ago, sime42 said:

Good thinking there.
No concerns about the glyphosate crossing over into the tree via the roots though? I thought that could be an issue in some cases.

Unlike the intimate relationship between some fungi and trees, or between mistletoe and trees, I don't think ivy shares any phisiology with tree roots. I think a lot of water intake is through tendrils with which ivy holds on the trees. So there migt be root contact between ivy and trees but it will just be physical contact, nothing invasive. Glyphosate makers say glyphosate breaks down to notrates in soil. So I wouldn't be worried about it.

• Like 2