Digger auxiliary supplies for rotating grab

alandurrant

8 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

This is one of the best ways to be get yourself another set of auxiliary pipework, with the added benefit it’s usually fairly low flow and quite suited to a rotators needs without messing with restrictors.

The hassle to take the ram off and replace with a suitable bar is probably effort better utilised to make a nice job of the pipework.

This is a 6 way changeover setup and is switched continuously from boom offset to your new auxiliary circuit, and will give a much better user experience than the momentary changeover from grab to rotate functions which is the other popular solution.

You’d be well advised if you buy a fixed top grab to ensure it can be retrofitted with the rotator at a later date.

DM if you want a price on an Intermercato setup and 6 way valves are very inexpensive.

Eddie.

Which would also give you another aux circuit to use with other attachments if needed. Have seen diverter fit to side of grab and you switch it so use one pedal then you loss it when removed. 

On 03/08/2021 at 10:41, woody paul said:

Which would also give you another aux circuit to use with other attachments if needed. Have seen diverter fit to side of grab and you switch it so use one pedal then you loss it when removed. 

Many fit the 6 way valve to the side of the grab, but it can fall down a bit being vulnerable if not guarded and those lovely loops of pipe to snag!

Another way is to mount the 6 way valve on the back of the boom, where the steel pipework meets the rubber hoses.

It’s then a fairly straightforward job to follow the existing single auxiliary circuit up the boom/dipper and make additional brackets to mount the additional quick couplers.

Not quite a factory 4 pipe machine, but tidy and less vulnerable in such applications.

Eddie.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

Many fit the 6 way valve to the side of the grab, but it can fall down a bit being vulnerable if not guarded and those lovely loops of pipe to snag!

Another way is to mount the 6 way valve on the back of the boom, where the steel pipework meets the rubber hoses.

It’s then a fairly straightforward job to follow the existing single auxiliary circuit up the boom/dipper and make additional brackets to mount the additional quick couplers.

Not quite a factory 4 pipe machine, but tidy and less vulnerable in such applications.

Eddie.

i listened to your wisdom. i have rotate on the aux joystick control and ive got 2 manual diverters to switch the boom slew to grab control. works a treat, i never need boom slew with a grab and rotator

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alandurrant said:

That's what I intend to do eventually Eddie, or even under floor possibly near the the boom swing ram.

I was meaning to fit a momentary 6 way  valve setup on the back of the boom that just interrupted the existing auxiliary circuit when required to power the rotate.

It’s an ideal place to tap into the existing auxiliary circuit, fit a couple of inline flow reducers to get the rotate down to a sensible speed, then follow the existing auxiliary circuit steel piped up the boom and down the dipper.

To power the six way valve momentarily, go for a foot operated switch, unless a spare is available in the servo levers, don’t be tempted to tap into the horn for obvious safety reasons.

If you’re tapping into the offset boom for a continuous auxiliary circuit then you’ll have to jump right back to the actual machine base.

You can do this either way with manual taps (Martin is spot on you’re unlikely to need offset boom much on grab work) or go six way valve and have it switchable from the cab.

You’ll be unlucky to need flow reducers coming off the offset, so try it first it’s easy to add them after.

This is the closest you’ll get to a factory double auxiliary circuit experience for absolute minimal cost/hassle.

For guys running larger machines there’s a really well sorted option available now that can virtually give you as many auxiliary functions as you like all proportionally controlled from a single Hammer circuit, doesn’t even need to be two way.

I’ve done a lot of work on it and it’s far and away the best option to protect things like the Felling Heads from too much flow/pressure that can cause heat and internal damage.

You are able to get great control setups all on the joysticks, but it does come at a cost.

It’s how I can run something like a GMT Felling Head on a 40 tonne plus machine all proportionally from a single circuit, without the flow she’s putting out simply killing it!

Eddie.

95287625-5010-467E-84D6-D8C596FCE408.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the advise here.

I did what I said:

Blanked off boom swing, filled caps with grease and it’s good, inch or so of movement at bucket when abruptly stopping a fast [cab/boom] swivel and full pressure can be applied sideways. I prefer the slight give to a ridged bar. The two hoses that went to that cylinder were a good fit to join to the new aux hoses.

Got hoses made up by BML/Hayley, I’ll leave that waste of time/money for another day, or maybe not; an experience I need to forget.

Ordered two aux genuine from Kubota, made a couple of ‘double aux brackets’, the ½ to metric, diff sizes of 14mm metric, etc was a bit of a pain but the chaps from ‘Hydrastar Ltd’ were very helpful.
Made a couple of brackets to hold the hoses.

Delighted with the result. Both clamp and rotate can be a bit quick so some care in needed, but fine with me.

I will in due course get another four little hoses made with a manual diverter bolted on the front somewhere, just to keep the boom swing function should I ever need it.

The ‘JBEquipment’ rotating grab is standing up well, their flail hedge cutter was a total disaster dumping 5 gallons of hyd oil over the drive, lawn, wife’s car, dog and beech hedge. They are trying to get out of refunding by claiming it was set on ‘indirect’ (which it wasn’t). Somewhat annoyed with this supposidly being a 'nature reserve'. Video here:

DSC00614.JPG

DSC00719.JPG

I can’t believe you blanked off the offset on a shiny new machine like that rather than fit a proper diverter. 

Wait until you’re pinned between two trees and need to reach a bush off to the side 😂

looks good mate but don’t delay on fitting that divertor. 

Edited by doobin
  • Haha 1

Although I do NOT reccomend these people in any way at all, this one:

https://www.jbequipment.co.uk/products/bc85-excavator-forestry-grab-1-3-tonne?variant=40146432917658

Right now they owe me 3800 for a faulty flail, which is going through 'chargeback'....

Edit: it says ''1 to 3 ton'' - it'd make a 1.5ton digger fall over without lifting anything. Beware.

New Edit: JB Equipment have decieded to refund for the flail hedge cutter.  So not so bad after all.

Edited by alandurrant
update to company refund mentioned