2 way radio/communication

miker

My wife and her friend have taken up going for long walks and have had a few problems with phone signals etc when they get in low ground/wooded areas

They have got " what 3 words etc but i do worry when they are not contactable

Is there a better way to communicate.. 2 way radio or some sort of military/ gps  or better  smart app etc

Cheers

Marine epirbs have been allowed on land since ~2011 I think, that's what I use for lone working in no signal areas as didn't really get  on with the SPOT system, although I know a lot of people like it. I have a mcmurdo fastfind (epirb), but it is a one time emergency signal device not for comms. I'm not well up on radio tech but I think anything they can reasonably carry won't be any use once out of line of sight, I have a small handheld vhf radio for when at sea but not legal on land as far as  know.....but then if it's a one time emergency use only effort not chatting for about what's for dinner...

I've used the Glympse app before and seems ok, it will allow you to follow a phones progress that has sent you a text link at the start of their walk, so at least you can see where a route goes into a mobile blackspot for a last known location. Be interesting to hear what others are using as not changed my set up for a few years now.

9 hours ago, miker said:

My wife and her friend have taken up going for long walks and have had a few problems with phone signals etc when they get in low ground/wooded areas

They have got " what 3 words etc but i do worry when they are not contactable

Is there a better way to communicate.. 2 way radio or some sort of military/ gps  or better  smart app etc

Cheers

Garmin GPS with inReach satellite communication has two-way text messaging and can SOS from anywhere, you can also load OS maps which cover whole of UK and for other countries. When actively used you get about 35 hrs but you can carry spare batteries. It doesn’t come cheap, apart from the initial cost of the device there is a subscription fee too (various plans depending on needs). If just for emergency help McMurdo FastFind PLB (personal location beacon) which is small enough to fit into a pocket and half the price of the Garmin mentioned and no subscription, it works on satellite technology, it sends out an SOS signal when activated and will locate position within a few meters (I’ve had one for years but fortunately never had to use it). 

• Like 1

Some good advice above which pretty much covers it.

U have the 1 time holy shit PLBs which are only used in extreme emergency, as linked directly to satellites and a monitoring centre and then to emergency services

Just a 1 off buying fee which last for 7yrs

Or Ur more adaptable satellite tracker systems which can tie in with smartphones to send texts etc, but a monthly fee.

Just watch with spot the emergency contact must be contactable for it too work, wouldn't need to be 24/7 in Ur case but if ur mrs always goes a walk at 2 and Ur often in a meeting/up a tree with saw going the call centre won't/can't phone for help they need u to do that.

Also I've heard some emergency contacts have ignored the phone call as  either an American number or with held and justthick it's a sales call.

Things to be aware off

Depends on the distance there walking but the cheap 2 ways can be hit and miss, sometimes we can hear a shoot on the far side off alley could be 6 or 8 miles away other days lucky to get a few hundred ms esp if u throw in trees and steep gully's.

The licensed 2 ways are really pretty good thou and very dependable, think 75 quid for a 5 year licence.

A couple off things that might work/help for free

112 will sometimes work when 999 won't in bad signal areas.

Also tell them to register there phone with 999 so u can send a text in an emergency situation, as a text may get out when a phone call won't..

I used to think w3w's would be handy for situations like that if things go wrong.

But on a recent +F course the instructor really slated it for rescue situations, fine for getting deliveries to urdoor but that's about it.

He's ex mountain rescue and advised never to use it in a rescue situation.

He advised using a grid ref app instead, 6 figures gets u within 100m which is close enough and still keeps it nice and simple.

How ruff is the

• Like 4

Think I posted without finishing.

Was going to say just how ruff/remote are the paths there walking?

If not too severe common sense and many off the basic lone person working rules would do the job and not cost u fortunes.

But it will all depend on just how likely they are to have an accident, how remote they are and chances of anyone else coming along wether it's worth spending money on satellite trackers or plbs

If fairly local and not out the middle of nowhere simple things like leaving a note or texting which walk there doing time leaving and time they expect to be home and text when get home.

If a bit ruffer ground or a long walk they do fairly often they could easy text in when they know they have a signal before they lose it, so if something happens in an area with no signal the time window is shorter and ud have a better idea where to start looking.

Or more mibbee better still a quick phone call as in my area u never truly know if a text has got theou, not so bad now but with old phone contract they would ping theou 12 hrs or even days later

Even 10 or 15 years ago PLBs were the norm in rural NZ, most outdoor types would own 1 and take it with them, or could be hired from rural petrol stations and shops for a few days or more for peanuts.

I'm amazed not taken off more in this country

That 3rd party monitoring folk?

No have thought about it and spoke to them a few times and always meant to get a price but it's just more money every month to pay.

By time u uy a tacker plus there fee, would only be worth it if that allowed u to cut solo.

We had an inreach for my dad for years but stopped it when Garmin took over, just got too expensive, even when putting it throu the books.

To be honest I have a PLB but don't take it out as often as I should, but how much stuff do u take with u all the time, already got 1st aid kit +tourniquet in pocket, Ur phone possible a radio too.

• Thanks 1