Peugeot boxer towing

josharb87

Any experience of the boxer towing? 

very flat here, would be towing 2400-2500kg

need another vehicle and would be handy to have a large van capable of occasional towing, the boxer/jumper has 2500kg rated tow hook and relatively cheap yet presentable 

pic attached of what I’m interested in. 2.2 diesel

(yes I know it’s not ideal but don’t want to invest too much in a 3rd vehicle just yet) 

Other large vans I’ve considered but discounted:
crafter/sprinter/transit is 2000kg

transit 350 is 2800kg but rare

iveco very rare

not possible/CBA to look into uprating the weights here 

045820F0-F38A-4AA6-8D8F-89E8BB54AD43.thumb.png.290c961372acd5a29c5caea465f08e38.png

I put about 50-60 thousand miles onto two Citroen Relays over a couple of years. One was a 14 plate, the other 66. I only bought the second one because there were a number of things on the options list that I wished I'd had on my ex demo one.

They really are outstanding tow vehicles. Very short overhang on the back and much more stable than a pickup. The 66 plate one I had also had uprated leaf springs. A 6000kg train weight was no problem for the 160ps engine. I once did 697 miles in one day in it, towing the whole way and loaded for most of it. 

Highly recommended, and probably what I'll end up back in once we're in Sweden.

• Like 1

Are Iveco that rare? I really rate mine as a tow vehicle (3.5t too!) and wouldn’t want anything else. 

Vans with their wider wheelbase are generally much more stable when towing than pickups. 

Edited by doobin

I have some experience with those. They're fabulous vans, but if they have to work hard, try to avoid the 2.2 at all cost. Go with the 3.0 or the 2.3 (Ducato only) engines. These are industrial grade engines from Iveco, same as the dailys have, while the 2.2 are consumer-car-crap fitted in a van. They tend to have cracking the pistons.

When towing, they work fine up to 2.5 Tons. Mine is rated for 3t, but everytime I tow that load, it somehow feels as if it's wrong. Eventho mine can be uprated to 3.5t.

Pulled 3t through snowy hills this Winter with white roads. Worked better than expected. 

One note: the reverse gear is way too fast in every aspect. Even empty you have to let the clutch slip. So no joy with a trailer here. 

Best choice would be the latest autotranny. 

Regards

Edited by marne