public Liability Insurance

CABennett

Hi - could someone recommend an insurance company for public liability and give a roundabout figure of what it should cost? I've been offered a few days work felling hardwoods for a private estate so public risk should be minimal. I remember buying PLI when I was doing forestry work in the 90s in Wales and I'm sure it wasn't more than 100 GBP for the year. Not sure what it might be these days!

Cheers

Colin

• 1 month later...

On 17/09/2021 at 15:02, Hodge said:

Try Arborisk or Trust, both good company's. I am with Arborisk at the moment but I was with Trust for 14 years. I currently pay around £1200 a year for PL and EL, I am a small tree surgery company with a turnover of around 95k

Thanks for these recommends, this sounds far better than the 4-6k per annum range I've been quoted so far.

2 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

£1200 is still a lot for PL in forestry , i am paying about £280 a year and that incudes using machinery i.e tractors, diggers forwarding trailers and winches,

I’d be very wary of how well you are actually insured for that. Forestry is not exactly a ‘low risk’ occupation.  £1200 seems more like it to me. 

1 minute ago, doobin said:

I’d be very wary of how well you are actually insured for that. Forestry is not exactly a ‘low risk’ occupation.  £1200 seems more like it to me. 

Never paid any more than about £400 for PL insurance, changed supplier last year as when i got a renewal it had gone up about £95 so got rid of them and found a new Co got the same cover as before but for less money and renewed about 2 month ago and it was cheaper than last year, Forestry is very low risk compared to Arb,  

1 hour ago, Retired Climber said:

You shouldn't be paying anywhere near that. Public liability is the cheap one; employers liability was always more expensive. 

Sorry, I got my wires crossed - the 4-6k quotes were for tree surgery PL I was enquiring about a while ago; forestry PL should be a lot cheaper but the first (and only) ins. company I called wouldn't insure me because I was sub-contracting and working alongside employees of the estate. The reason sounded a bit complicated but I think I got the gist of it in the end. Anyway, it turned out that I was covered by the estate's ins. so it worked out well in the end. But I still need to get PLI for myself, ideally one that covers me for occasional tree surgery jobs, too.

• 1 month later...
On 19/09/2021 at 13:07, spuddog0507 said:

£1200 is still a lot for PL in forestry , i am paying about £280 a year and that incudes using machinery i.e tractors, diggers forwarding trailers and winches,

Would you mind telling us who it's with please? Mines coming up and I may get another quote if I can face the grilling...