Am i just Victor Meldrew?

neiln

Nothing wrong with a fire if it's done well (safe and hot). Carbon neutral innit.

Chipping or carting material away will burn a lot more fossil fuels.

Ideally they should have informed the fire brigade to save them wasting their time and coming out when there was no need.

Edited by scbk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, neiln said:

really?  I used to own a house with a footpath down the side and remember my conveyancing solicitor  telling me i didn't have right of access from that path, so don't put a gate in.  similarly my parents had a corner plot house once, and don't beleive they had right of access to the road along the side, only the front

It is an offence under the highways act section 184 to drive over a footpath with no dropped kerb, The offence is enforced by the HA and the fine is 20 quid as long as there is no damage, They can apply for a licence for a dropped kerb and this does not require planning permission, probably costs less than £1500 to do the work.

You would have had a right to put a gate from your property onto a public footpath but a lot of alleyways are not public rights of way,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doobin said:

Burning green waste on the site it is produced is legal, subject to registering for an EA exemption. Very surprised to see this happening on a school job, but I do remember having the fire brigade out to a small fire we had on

a school job maybe ten years ago 😂

A D7 exemption. “Nuisance” (from smoke in an inappropriate direction) would be the kicker though. 

The burning of commercial waste is illegal and an offence under the Clean Air Act 1993 and Environmental Protection Act 1990. ... Failure to comply with the requirements is an offence contrary to the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and is punishable by a fixed penalty notice or prosecution.

Whilst it is not against the law to have a bonfire to dispose of garden waste and there are no set times when bonfires are allowed, residents should be aware thatt he council can take legal action if the smoke causes what is described as a ‘statutory nuisance’, taking into account how dense the smoke is, how long the fire lasts and how often it happens.

• Like 1

I would start recording evidence of their work ( inc' pics ) - am getting the  sense it is a covert job - even if for a planning app in later years , they are sly these developers . One of my bosses got marched to magistrates over just shut nonsense . K 

Edited by Khriss
such !

Could be. Whatever the intended final outcome do the clearance now to prevent challenge later.  I'm probably not too concerned about most possible final outcomes, but the disregard for neighbours and due process and the ongoing burning (it's smaller, but still means my kids can't use the garden or get washing out to dry) has wound me up.