Big Elm in Devon

Doogle

36 minutes ago, Wonky said:

DED has had a good yr in Brighton, i'. Guessing it’s to do with the national Covid holidays last yr that gave those Beatles a good head start. 🤔🙈

Yes I wonder why it got so bad this year, I noticed two big ones in Preston park three weeks ago and a large one had been bark stripped somewhere around Dyke road on Wednesday ( I was lost trying to get into one of the one way streets near the station at the time).

Yes I wonder why it got so bad this year, I noticed two big ones in Preston park three weeks ago and a large one had been bark stripped somewhere around Dyke road on Wednesday ( I was lost trying to get into one of the one way streets near the station at the time).

They’ve been pollarding some of the monsters near Preston park.
[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22]

Yes but I thought Ulmus minor had some resistance and don't quite understand why they ringbark stand alone trees, I thought it as to prevent transfer via root grafts/contact.

Brighton is mainly English elm and some Wych elm. I looked into buying disease resistant elms recently. It’s only a golden? Elm that has some resistance. But not immunity.
Yes, apparently the disease can spread through the root system.
[emoji22]

13 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Brighton is mainly English elm and some Wych elm. I looked into buying disease resistant elms recently. It’s only a golden? Elm that has some resistance. But not immunity.
Yes, apparently the disease can spread through the root system.
emoji22.png

In fact most of the Brighton street trees produce viable seed, I know as I propagated some, and english elm, previously Ulmus procera but now Ulmus minor "Atinia" is an infertile clone. So they will be Ulmus minor I think.

I did fell some wych elm there and assisted while the lads took down the last two between the station and football stadium, they were completely healthy and showed the typical black tyloses in the previous annual rings from having contained previous infections.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yes but I thought Ulmus minor had some resistance and don't quite understand why they ringbark stand alone trees, I thought it as to prevent transfer via root grafts/contact.

from what I’ve been told, it also attracts beetles as the tree is damaged.  So therefore supposed to help reduce other trees getting the beetles.

I’m wondering about the high DED infection rate in coldean lane, especially as they had just taken out a load of ash trees, (ash die back). So was it partly down to damaged elm trees during the ash removal ?  

and Yes the elm do produce viable seed, there are quite a few in the woods on the other side of the valley, 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well the big Elm succumbed to Eunice on Friday morning. Now the dilemma as to whether the remaining half can be pulled in, reduced / coppiced and kept or pull the whole thing down.

Seems the trunk was actually two halves with very little knitting the two together.

20220219_162147.jpg

Edited by Doogle