Big Elm in Devon

Doogle

7 hours ago, Beneath the bark said:

I would have said the upper right hand corner looks like it’s infected .. if you’ve had other elms around that have dies from DED then the outlook isn’t great I’m afraid ., 

you can try cutting out the infected limb but I would say that 90 % of the time it ends up in removal at some stage , some of the big ones do seem to outlast but if you’ve had others in close proximity that Havnt been dealt with then it’s not looking good 

The recent heatwave won’t have helped 

9E27483C-AF6D-4FDE-B236-0E764AB230C2.jpeg

Yes there's two patches like that fairly central and look from the ground small/isolated at the moment, there's been quite a few smaller trees around in the hedgelines that have all died and never been removed.

it seems to be fairly resilient and given it's size ita done well but these two branches have turned in the last couple of weeks.

If there's any way treatment might help then we're up for trying it 

7 minutes ago, Doogle said:

Yes there's two patches like that fairly central and look from the ground small/isolated at the moment, there's been quite a few smaller trees around in the hedgelines that have all died and never been removed.

it seems to be fairly resilient and given it's size ita done well but these two branches have turned in the last couple of weeks.

It’s always worth  trying By cutting off the suspect branches making sure you cut back past the staining under the bark , 

any infected limbs will

have a dark blueish sometime purple stain under the bark , easiest way to to tell is hit the bark with a hammer and peel it away , if the staining is following it’s way back to the main stem then is unlikely your save it , 
The tree that is dead next to it was also an elm I presume ?

45 minutes ago, Doogle said:

The trees in the hedgerows are suckers from an original root system and are typical of the size that hedgerow elms get to before they succumb . Some of the larger much older individual elms seem to last for many years . Look at the whoppers in Brighton . 

But if the smaller hedgerow trees are suckers/clones, then all the trees are connected via root mass below ground.
If the smaller trees have died of DED, is it not only a matter of time before the bigger trees are affected too? Will the disease not spread below ground too, it isn’t only transferred via the beetle is it?

• 1 month later...

Did you have a very dry summer last year?

Are there more seeds this year?

A lot of the trees in Oslo look like they are succumbing to DED yet the foliage and vigour looks poor.  Yet it is a bumper year for seed production after a dry summer last year.

Could be a thought?

This tree looks very similar to a tree just down the road from me.  I,m guessing from the time of the original post to now it’s already to late for the tree.

DED has had a good yr in Brighton, i'. Guessing it’s to do with the national Covid holidays last yr that gave those Beatles a good head start. 🤔🙈

• Like 1

I took this pic on the 27 july. A wk later I emailed Brighton council arb. But a day later there was a DED notice on it.. so I sure there not that quick on response ding  to my email. Look at the top of the pic [1”o”clock]

Within 2 months it’s been taken down. As well as a few other trees that I’ve seen with ded. I’ve got board reporting as you would be very lucky to even get an acknowledgement let alone  of being correct… 

anyhow, ive seen and reported two other trees in a similar  time frame in a woodland not far from this pic and they are still standing (completely dead) they’ve been marked up ( spray paint on the path, muddy path, now washed away) and no reply to my email) 

9D7F5A00-5189-47A6-B755-E5B7597D262B.jpeg

23C2C4FF-F1CF-4050-AE64-44C31DABBAAD.jpeg

• Like 1

This pic taken a day later (28 July), and added in with the email sent with the other tree.  

I guess trees in full view at the side of the road count towards the council taking action, but using  connick tree care as they got one of the contracts  

If you inquired about brightons council own arb team, you'd understand they don’t stay in the job long at 20/25k pa… it’s really a joke as we got the uk's elm collocation 

iirc connick pay cir 30k pa

98751876-8B8E-40A4-9F92-1897B588FF73.jpeg
edit I could be wrong with the Priority of trees and who gets to fell them and the timeframe

Edited by Wonky
Edit
  • Like 1