576xp oil leak

stewmo

You may find the screws have just come loose so try tightening them up or take the cap off and shine a torch in to the tank and see if the gasket has dropped in to the tank cavity.

If the gasket has been pulled in, it will probably need splitting and a new gasket to be fitted.

2 hrs seems a good quote from ADW, get him to do it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, stewmo said:

I had a look and gasket looks about £20 quid so it’ll be the labour involved. £300 is fair chunk to spend on a 4+ year old saw. £200 I could probably cope 🤣

It's probably a good 2-3 hours work, everything needs to be cleaned thoroughly then as others said you'd also change the cylinder base gasket, the crank bearings and seals, couple other bits. 

Looking at prices of the parts, i suppose probably closer to 200 quid than 300.

4 hours ago, adw said:

Is that really what dealers are charging?

I think a lot of them make it up as they go along, or price it to sell you a new one. I asked a couple dealers a while ago about repairing saws for a place i was working at and they weren't really interested at all.

I guess I must just be a slow worker,  cleaning the saw and removing all the covers, muffler, cylinder, carb, air filter, bottom plate under the carb, clutch and drum, flywheel, splitting the engine from the fuel tank, splitting the engine, cleaning the old gasket from both halves of the casing, possible the crank may pull a bearing out.....reassembly, pressure and vacuum check, more reassembly, run up and tach tune if normal carb or test in wood if AT....a for two hours, circa £100...bargain in my eyes.

Most dealers wouldn't bother.

Years ago I sent a local guy to the local big dealership to get his engine split and I didn't have splitters back then.

I had the impression they would have the correct kit.....he came back and said the screws came out and the big copper mallet was used on the crankshaft😱and ...it was the first engine he had split....it sort of realigns your thoughts!

• Haha 1

It looks like it. If time is not an issue, there may be some milage in loosening up the case screws, and seeing if you can push the gasket up a little and then clamp it up again.

I have done this on the earlier 560xp and managed to fix a leak for not too much£££

It may work but if ADW is doing it for two hours labour, rip his arm off....I am thinking about subbing my Husqvarna work out to him😉

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stewmo said:

When you say it’ll ‘probably’ need splitting, are you saying there is another option?

The gasket often has an overhang like your pics show, the screws can come loose, I had a massive air leak once on an old 480CD like that. You can see if the screws are loose and if not, loosen them to see if you can push the gasket back up and clamp it again...worth trying before doing a permanent repair. You will see a section of gasket appear from the case join under the muffler if it is pushed upwards from the tank or it may just scrunch up😖

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 2