Faulty blade bolts...

john87

5 hours ago, john87 said:

The fan broke up and despite the housing being a welded construction of about 10mm thick steel, that was just torn open like a papaer bag.. The one piece that burst out of there, cut completely through a steel beam about a foot deep in the roof of the place, then made a large hole in a brick wall and shot off god knows where.

Which is why one should never walk past the chute of a working chipper. I've seen the aftermath and the pieces of disc picked out of the back of the truck.

• Like 1

Yes, as i say, i have never used one before, and when i started mine i was amazed at the velocity and volume of the air that came out the chute, never mind the chips.. From a quick calculation the periphery of the disc would be doing about 130 MPH so if it all fell to bits shrapnel would fly in a big way..

On a different subject, i have to cut down a load of bamboo.. I would imagine that i would have to be an idiot to put this in the chipper or am i being too fussy??

john..

6 minutes ago, john87 said:

On a different subject, i have to cut down a load of bamboo.. I would imagine that i would have to be an idiot to put this in the chipper or am i being too fussy??

A sharp chipper cuts it and a less sharp one breaks it up, just watch out for blockages, one piece at a time until you trust the chipper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

A sharp chipper cuts it and a less sharp one breaks it up, just watch out for blockages, one piece at a time until you trust the chipper.

Hmm, Mine has a brand new blade now and i checked the anvil too and that has a nice sharp square corner so all is well, but the bamboo is so hard i might give it a miss and burn the stuff.. How do chippers cope with leylandi trees.. Will it munch them up happily?? I have a huge amount of laurel to do too but i cannot see a problem with them..

john..

7 minutes ago, john87 said:

Hmm, Mine has a brand new blade now and i checked the anvil too and that has a nice sharp square corner so all is well, but the bamboo is so hard i might give it a miss and burn the stuff.. How do chippers cope with leylandi trees.. Will it munch them up happily?? I have a huge amount of laurel to do too but i cannot see a problem with them..

john..

The tree wood itself ( Lelandii ) is no problem . The green brashy stuff can sometimes get stuck under the roller spigots particularly if the machine has not been maintained properly . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john87 said:

john..

Dry leylandii yes,  wet maybe not so well. K

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john87 said:

john..

Bamboo's no problem to sharp blades and correct anvil gap.  I have a wee chipper and chip the stuff regularly; never had a problem with it.

Laurel's fine too; I love the smell.  That cyanide... oh yeah!

• Like 1

Just now, nepia said:

Bamboo's no problem to sharp blades and correct anvil gap.  I have a wee chipper and chip the stuff regularly; never had a problem with it.

Laurel's fine too; I love the smell.  That cyanide... oh yeah!

The bamboo is about 1/2" diameter i suppose. You have a job to cut it with a machete.. Hopefully my brushcutter with a steel blade will do it though. [I hope] This blade here i have..

Do you feed the bamboo in a bit at a time or just chuck armfulls in??

john..

oregon.jpg