Faulty blade bolts...

john87

1 minute ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Mate.. you had a broken bolt. Chill the f**k out. Your machine didn't even fail in any way. It snapped on tightening.

Talk about blowing it out of proportion.

It snapped on tightening in a brittle manner at about a quarter of the specified torque. It can be seen from the type of failure, that it would, had it not snapped then, subsequently failed in service..

john..

It’s only been a few days, end(!) of a pandemic and holiday time, I’m sure TW will reply soon enough. 
could be that someone forgot to set their auto reply email that the dog is sick so reply’s might be delayed.

yes they might reply quicker if you wanted to buy a machine or if it had exploded but it hasn’t, a bolt has broken on a 2nd hand machine presumably not purchased through their dealer network.

tw aren’t really on the forum but do seem to reply if you post in their own section (I guess they get email (haha) notifications)

sounds like you’re getting good communication from their dealer (?) green plant and Gareth though 🤷‍♂️

Just wait til you've used it a while, once the exhaust has fallen off, the chassis cracked, the hopper welds failed, a blade has broken and come out through the chute, not to mention the blockages caused by the first sight of a twig of wet leylandii, overheating, diesel filters blocking, ignition failure, feed roller housing wearing out, hydraulic failures and so on. a bolt will seem trivial.

This is not meant in any way as a dig at tw, chippers do difficult work, they break and get repaired. Such is life.

Oh, forgot to mention the flywheel bearings. They're fun.

Edited by Conor Wright
Forgot something
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, john87 said:

It snapped on tightening in a brittle manner at about a quarter of the specified torque. It can be seen from the type of failure, that it would, had it not snapped then, subsequently failed in service..

john..

Yes it does look like a fatigue crack, yes I can see there was corrosion under the bolt (machine screw) head both could be from a bit of crap under the head or flexing of an under tightened bolt. You said they came out easily. So you were re using a bolt that had some old damage.

Id put it down to lack of maintenance... The first blade change on a second hand machine..

Who knows the history of use and abuse?

On an 8"+ capacity high hp machine I'd say that blade is well used and overdue a sharpen.. on a gravity fed garden chipper it's crazy to let it get that mullered, looks like a hire machine

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, john87 said:

It snapped on tightening in a brittle manner at about a quarter of the specified torque.

So what? It snapped, nothing happened. No catastrophic failure, no machine damage, no exploding chipper. You're acting like the world could've fallen apart and Timberwolf need to issue a public statement immediately.

It's a single broken reused bolt on a used machine. Get over it.

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes it does look like a fatigue crack, yes I can see there was corrosion under the bolt (machine screw) head both could be from a bit of crap under the head or flexing of an under tightened bolt. You said they came out easily. So you were re using a bolt that had some old damage.

I think this is more likely the cause. It wasn't tightened sufficiently before, stretching has caused fatigue, it snappened on tightening.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Just wait til you've used it a while, once the exhaust has fallen off, the chassis cracked, the hopper welds failed, a blade has broken and come out through the chute, not to mention the blockages caused by the first sight of a twig of wet leylandii, overheating, diesel filters blocking, ignition failure, feed roller housing wearing out, hydraulic failures and so on. a bolt will seem trivial.

This is not meant in any way as a dig at tw, chippers do difficult work, they break and get repaired. Such is life.

Oh, forgot to mention the flywheel bearings. They're fun.

He might have a meltdown if he sees the kind of stuff that fails on a day to day basis on cars/vans/trucks/machinery.

But just for fun here's a few small normal Timberwolf repairs:

20201022_100213.thumb.jpg.dc041414134045c1504b4b4e310e0c20.jpg20200725_150351.thumb.jpg.3c81bed9ea77a12fd64fd725ea6a7783.jpg20201022_095936.thumb.jpg.1622f9df331d9b847a61b99c7740dd05.jpg20200817_103001.thumb.jpg.d4db51d3177d1fa0b448d23ba89fa8e6.jpg

20 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

It’s only been a few days, end(!) of a pandemic and holiday time, I’m sure TW will reply soon enough. 
could be that someone forgot to set their auto reply email that the dog is sick so reply’s might be delayed.

yes they might reply quicker if you wanted to buy a machine or if it had exploded but it hasn’t, a bolt has broken on a 2nd hand machine presumably not purchased through their dealer network.

tw aren’t really on the forum but do seem to reply if you post in their own section (I guess they get email (haha) notifications)

sounds like you’re getting good communication from their dealer (?) green plant and Gareth though 🤷‍♂️

Yes, Gareth has been great and Timberwolf just got back to me a few hours ago, so all good there!!

john..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

That is right. The point being that Timberwolf need to be telling people not to reuse the bolts. The corrosion was within the cross section of the core of the bolt, as you can see. Therefore, the bolt had a pre-existing crack.. That cannot be good, especially as the bolt had never been replaced.. I did say they came out easily; What i meant, was that i was able to get them out easily. I was well worried that they may have been corroded in, but happily not!!

john..