Giant tree, giant crack!!

john87

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Yes. That is apparent. 

You need a Bat scoping qualification  to inspect, a Bat handlers certification to touch. Presence of Bats will determine yr next step. If any, K

Did not mean poking endoscopes in holes.. What i meant was do bats push out piles of bat poo or other things that one might find in the area??

john..

1 minute ago, john87 said:

Did not mean poking endoscopes in holes.. What i meant was do bats push out piles of bat poo or other things that one might find in the area??

john..

Often there is staining around the  cavity, with flies in summer but occasional use overnight is the catchout. Hence scoping before starting yr saw. If work can be done with a hand saw around the tree, that can be a possibility. K

18 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Often there is staining around the  cavity, with flies in summer but occasional use overnight is the catchout. Hence scoping before starting yr saw. If work can be done with a hand saw around the tree, that can be a possibility. K

Do different things compete with each other?? What i mean is, say a load of wasps decide to set up shop in a hole in a tree. Would wasps piss off bats in a big way, or do bats eat the things??

john..

Attached is the Microguide that was produced to accompany the British Standard BS8596.

Please note it requires the user to have undergone basic bat awareness training. For me this took less than a day and cost less than £150.

As I see it the training is needed to understand the habits of bats and the guide is needed to form a systematic basis for inspection and recording of findings. Legal requirements, tick!

I would commend it to anyone who wants to consolidate their understanding and approach. Especially if you think you already know, because you probably don't.

BSI-Bat-Microguide-UK-EN.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1