Giant tree, giant crack!!

john87

Right, i see.

So if the tree's deadwooded you could be removing limbs that, while they're dead, are allowing other limbs to knit together for support. So ultimately leads to wind damage and tear outs as limbs grow beyond their own strength?

I'm against DW pines , cedars unless it's over very high risk targets ... have seen many fail days/weeks after they have been over the years and some quite catastrophic ... wind tunnels as well so areas before not being penetrated and allowing different movement so yes pretty much.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I'm against DW pines , cedars unless it's over very high risk targets ... have seen many fail days/weeks after they have been over the years and some quite catastrophic ... wind tunnels as well so areas before not being penetrated and allowing different movement so yes pretty much.

very common on Monterey Cypress on the coast around my way !!

11 hours ago, john87 said:

Oh god!! what have i started!!

Can i just say.. I think this is a brilliant forum. I have had loads of help and everyone is keen to help, unlike on some other forums i have been on..

As for the tree.. Yes i suppose the best thing to do would be to remove the offending part, but leave the bottom part in case there are bats in there, although i have never seen any.

Why do people plant trees in stupid places?? Is it ignorance, or do not care, or intent to maintain the thing or what?? Why would someone that is supposed to know about trees and stuff think it was a good idea to plant something that grows to that size 20 feet from a building..

john..

Sorry John 🙄  obvs there is a vein of animosity here,  idle hands and all that. K

12 hours ago, AHPP said:

I’ve done the world the greater disservice by not mentioning it more forcefully before. He’s been talking weapons grade rot on here for years.

Feel free to point such out then, you clearly have nothing better to do. K

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Sorry John 🙄  obvs there is a vein of animosity here,  idle hands and all that. K

No its just so many of us are sick of your relentless wibble.

It seems as though you believe you are adding to discussions ,when instead you are degenerating them with your baseless opinion and out right fallacies. 

There are people on this forum who are highly educated experts with decades of experience, there are also plenty of guys with 20 or 30 years graft behind them.

Khris, when you spout your selfish bollocks in your quest to mean something ,you simply discourage many many people to post.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Hill said:

No its just so many of us are sick of your relentless wibble.

It seems as though you believe you are adding to discussions ,when instead you are degenerating them with your baseless opinion and out right fallacies. 

There are people on this forum who are highly educated experts with decades of experience, there are also plenty of guys with 20 or 30 years graft behind them.

Khris, when you spout your selfish bollocks in your quest to mean something ,you simply discourage many many people to post.

I think that was the opposite on here, trolling is one thing i wouldnt bother with esp as others have already pointed out such members who far exceed any posting count i could ever manage. Who would have thought mentioning Bats would get that volume of bile ? K

• Like 2

Ha ha!! I have certainly learnt a lot about trees though.. All this stuff about dead wood scares me though.. Seems that just as i am planning to climb up them, the tree is planning to fall to bits.. I have noticed that there are always lots of bits of, say, about 4 or 5 inch diameter branches laying about under the trees.. They are all mostly conifers, cedar, as i have learnt, and i think scots pine too?? Might be wrong though.. There are what i think are willow trees too, but always falling to bits they are. I would cut them right down and let them start again, but there are TPO's on them all, so pollarding i think it is called might not be allowed??

john..

Got to say on top of that I hate so called bat experts , when working a tree nothing pisses me off more than some dick head turning up and reading me my rights and going on about bats in the tree.... do you really think I'm that stupid to risk getting a 10k fine for disturbing a bat roost ?! Or don't have the experience and knowledge my self to know where and what a active roost may consist of ..... Then having the site closed down to find out hey guess what there where no bats in the tree ... does not matter that the trees a willow that's shit itself over a primary school playground and class rooms , or a beech that's split over a heavily used footpath and ancient monument it's only important so these so called experts who get off on smelling there own farts and and justify there years wasted on a degree and there ridiculous salary's ...you can take your endo scopes and shove them where the Sun don't shine....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Got to say on top of that I hate so called bat experts , when working a tree nothing pisses me off more than some dick head turning up and reading me my rights and going on about bats in the tree.... do you really think I'm that stupid to risk getting a 10k fine for disturbing a bat roost ?! Or don't have the experience and knowledge my self to know where and what a active roost may consist of ..... Then having the site closed down to find out hey guess what there where no bats in the tree ... does not matter that the trees a willow that's shit itself over a primary school playground and class rooms , or a beech that's split over a heavily used footpath and ancient monument it's only important so these so called experts who get off on smelling there own farts and and justify there years wasted on a degree and there ridiculous salary's ...you can take your endo scopes and shove them where the Sun don't shine....

You see Matty, its part of legislation. Hate it or not, i have to point out possibilities  to clients and then come up with answer, which i do and the job gets done. Based on my experience and qualifications. Dunno why that should piss anyone off when job gets done. The fines and adverse publicity can finish a  company, K

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Many years ago when i was younger and much more stupid [is that possible, i mean, climbing up trees now!] i used to have a shotgun cert and a firearm cert and was of the opinion that the function of wildlife was to provide a convenient target for sportsmen..

Now, being older and wiser i would not hurt a fly and i am learning more and more about natural stuff everyday..

Now, bats. Obviously nobody would want to disturb bats at all, they are harmless things and do good, BUT, there has to be limits..

The tree with the split.. IF the branch fell off and fell in one direction it would demolish some single storey buildings and kill the occupants.. Can this risk be allowed because of bats??? Bash the tree a few times and they would fly off surely??

Thre was some land near where i live that has been derelict for about 50 years that i know of.. Someone wanted to build a house, but a stop was put to it all because some expert looked at the trees and decided that although there were no bats at all, and no evidence of bats at all either, that they were; "the sort of trees bats like" and that was the end of that for many more years..

Funny how the local council go around putting TPO's on trees on land that is; 1, Private. 2, Enclosed on all sides by 40 foot high buildings. 3, Cannot even be seen unless you are a tresspasser. [that cannot be legal at all]

Then they think it is ok to cut down scores of trees with nothing wrong with them, just because they want to. There were some lovely trees in the town centre where i live.. All cut down as presumably the council did not like to clean up the leaves..

john..