Giant tree, giant crack!!

john87

Thanks for that - did save me a lot of typing  ;)  there is usually a solution to habitat issues , just needs a creative mind to come up with one. Most important is yr due dilligence , get stuff on paper, then you have a defendable position . Last sett evacuation i did - a known sett -  knew there were no badgers , the traps had no shots , applied fr license and put the exclusions in - done . K

3 hours ago, daltontrees said:

There's a perfectly good, free, standard for contractors to use to sign off on bats in trees. I would urge all contractors to use it. It is an easy conversion from thinking they know it all to knowing enough to protect themselves, customers and bats. You can even charge for it.

Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction to find this on line? 
I definitely don’t know enough on the subject and the local batt man can be some what over the top at times to say the least

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Will C said:

Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction to find this on line? 
I definitely don’t know enough on the subject and the local batt man can be some what over the top at times to say the least

Yes, i would be very interested in that too!!

john..

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Thanks for that - did save me a lot of typing  ;)  there is usually a solution to habitat issues , just needs a creative mind to come up with one. Most important is yr due dilligence , get stuff on paper, then you have a defendable position . Last sett evacuation i did - a known sett -  knew there were no badgers , the traps had no shots , applied fr license and put the exclusions in - done . K

These bats... Say i climbed up the tree to have a look.. What sort of things would i be looking for, signs of bats i mean?? How many are liable to be in a crack in a tree?? Is it a few or loads of the things?? I do like bats though, interesting things and terribly hard to get with the 12 bore!! [JOKE!!!!!]

john..

• Like 1

These bats... Say i climbed up the tree to have a look.. What sort of things would i be looking for, signs of bats i mean?? How many are liable to be in a crack in a tree?? Is it a few or loads of the things?? I do like bats though, interesting things and terribly hard to get with the 12 bore!! [JOKE!!!!!]

john..

Are you bat certified though?

On the shooting, I quite like modern alternatives to traditional staple English sporting achievements (like the oft vaunted left and right on grouse). Round my way, it’s a first round hit on the 300m frying pan across the motocross track with a .22. A fast crossing pipistrelle with a hushpower and subs could be your local sportsman’s boast.

3 hours ago, john87 said:

john..

WWW.ABEBOOKS.CO.UK

Available now at AbeBooks.co.uk - ISBN: 9781784271619 - Soft cover - Pelagic Publishing - 2018 - Book Condition: New

This book will help you identify tree features which are suitable for bats.

You need certification to disturb suspected roosts.

I think there is merit in getting arb-based people to do bat surveys for trees.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Are you bat certified though?

On the shooting, I quite like modern alternatives to traditional staple English sporting achievements (like the oft vaunted left and right on grouse). Round my way, it’s a first round hit on the 300m frying pan across the motocross track with a .22. A fast crossing pipistrelle with a hushpower and subs could be your local sportsman’s boast.

Certified perhaps, but under the mental health act!!

"A fast crossing pipistrelle with a hushpower and subs could be your local sportsman’s boast" ha ha!! You obviously still have the firearm cert then!! I let mine run out years ago.. Regret that now..

The shooting i did was years ago and everything i had apart from the 12 bore is banned now..

I had a Smith & Wesson M27 revolver with the 8 3/8" barrel. That was a 38/357.. [a 357 magnum can shoot 38 special too, as they are the same but 0.100" shorter cases.]

I had a stainless Colt 45ACP clone [that was a pile of crap]

I had a Ruger super single six. [A .22 single action revolver]

And a Ruger super Blackhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel. That is a 44 magnum affair..

One of the nicest things i ever shot though was a Beretta M76 in 22LR. That was a lovely thing..

Not done much with rifles, but had a go on various 22's 223's 308's and the like..

All great fun!!

john..

I'm too young to have shot pistols when they were (relatively) common but I have a section 7 range pretty close by and am open to doing a bit of that. I like stuff like the Webley Fosberry and that Russian gas sealing revolver with the cylinder that sits forward as it times. The innovative rather than the visceral. No interest in especially big revolvers etc.

I'm primarily a rifle man. Sold an AR this afternoon as it happens. Aim to replace it in time for next year's imperial at the very latest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, john87 said:

Certified perhaps, but under the mental health act!!

"A fast crossing pipistrelle with a hushpower and subs could be your local sportsman’s boast" ha ha!! You obviously still have the firearm cert then!! I let mine run out years ago.. Regret that now..

The shooting i did was years ago and everything i had apart from the 12 bore is banned now..

I had a Smith & Wesson M27 revolver with the 8 3/8" barrel. That was a 38/357.. [a 357 magnum can shoot 38 special too, as they are the same but 0.100" shorter cases.]

I had a stainless Colt 45ACP clone [that was a pile of crap]

I had a Ruger super single six. [A .22 single action revolver]

And a Ruger super Blackhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel. That is a 44 magnum affair..

One of the nicest things i ever shot though was a Beretta M76 in 22LR. That was a lovely thing..

Not done much with rifles, but had a go on various 22's 223's 308's and the like..

All great fun!!

john..

Yes. That is apparent. 

You need a Bat scoping qualification  to inspect, a Bat handlers certification to touch. Presence of Bats will determine yr next step. If any, K

8 hours ago, AHPP said:

I'm too young to have shot pistols when they were (relatively) common but I have a section 7 range pretty close by and am open to doing a bit of that. I like stuff like the Webley Fosberry and that Russian gas sealing revolver with the cylinder that sits forward as it times. The innovative rather than the visceral. No interest in especially big revolvers etc.

I'm primarily a rifle man. Sold an AR this afternoon as it happens. Aim to replace it in time for next year's imperial at the very latest.

I loved it all. I was heavily into reloading too, and that is hugely interesting too, adds a whole new dimension.. I used to load hundreds of the things and then go and blast away happily a few days later!!

I was lucky in a way, as i sold them all when i was saving for the deposit for a house, and it was only about 6 months later that they were all banned. Miss them though. I really liked the idea of metallic silhouette shooting, you know, the chickens, pigs, turkeys etc. My mate was going to have a set made but it never happened..

I fancied getting a blackpowder revolver, a Ruger old army they were called, my mate had one and that was interesting.. He was a registered firearms dealer and had piles of stuff!! There was loads i fancied though, a Ruger GP100, a Redhawk perhaps, with a scope on it too.. There was one bloke that had a thing called a Remington XP 100. It was basically a large bolt action pistol chambered for 308 Win.. Not so sure i wanted a go on that!! Someone else had a burst fire Beretta, which seemed amusing, if somewhat pointless.. There was a thing called a Franchi SPAS, a sort of combat shotgun.. all kinds of weird stuff!!

I never had much to do with rifles though, as the range where i was a member was a pistols only one and in them days 99% of people did not have open certs and to get my mates farm listed on the cert would have been a load of hassle.

I did fancy joining a different club that is near here that had permission for rifles. I was going to get an ex army SLR. They were about £350 at the time.

I have had a go on a few rifles, as many many years later my landowning friend joined a club with a view to getting a cert for use on his land, and wanted me to go with him as i knew what i was on about!!

The club people asked if he wanted a go, so as he was felling a bit nervous he shoved me out of line and says; "Here you have a go" They gave me a Ruger mini 14. It had been converted so it was not a semi auto anymore and you had to rack the think each time. Was fun though, although they gave me a big pile of ex military 5.56 stuff to let off, but i did not think that was a terribly good idea as despite what they all think, 5.56 is NOT the same as 223, the military stuff is loaded to a higher pressure..

Once he got his cert, i went with him as "personal shopper" We went in the shop and he said; "what should i get" As he got his cert for controlling foxes i suggested a 223.. He asked to see one, a Mannlicher it was, and bought it.. He whispered to me; "what about a scope" and pointed to some on display.. I said that they were Schmidt & Bender ones and terribly expensive, but he just said to the assistant; "i will have one of them"  He asked what else to get.. I said a set of mounts, so he got them.. Next he asked what else would be good, what other rifles would be nice..

I said, well, a 308 would be great.. Within seconds he say to the bloke serving, "have you got a 308??" bloke says yes, another Mannlicher.. My mate says give me one and another scope and set of mounts... He must have spent £10,000 in about 2 minutes!!

My idea of paradise would be to sit in a big field with steel gongs all over the place and a 357 and a 308.. [oh and a 44, and a 44 carbine, and a remington Xp100 and a center contender and a Barrett light 50 and a .. etc etc etc!!

john..