Giant tree, giant crack!!

john87

1 hour ago, jfc said:

Why rip into someone straight away when you disagree with them. Why not just make your points in a more reasonable manner? Have a wee jokey dig if you must.

This kind of thing is bad for the whole site, the OP isn't a professional arb, others see this and either won't post in case they get ripped to shreds or think that this is OK too. I think we are better than this.

Maybes I'm wrong and this then isn't the place for me, although I've been on here a while and learnt loads from it.

Cedar trees shed limbs anyway (storms, snow, just cos they feel like it) the crack looks old to me. I tell my clients not to park under these trees or put stuff underneath like swings for kids.

Jan.

No, yr right, it looks bad and juvenile. Professional opinions will vary to a degree, but you dont want ranting arses venting spleens cos they think they  can. Certainly any input should be of value if it helps the OP. K

Why rip into someone straight away when you disagree with them. Why not just make your points in a more reasonable manner? Have a wee jokey dig if you must.

This kind of thing is bad for the whole site, the OP isn't a professional arb, others see this and either won't post in case they get ripped to shreds or think that this is OK too. I think we are better than this.

I’ve done the world the greater disservice by not mentioning it more forcefully before. He’s been talking weapons grade rot on here for years.
  • Like 2

Oh god!! what have i started!!

Can i just say.. I think this is a brilliant forum. I have had loads of help and everyone is keen to help, unlike on some other forums i have been on..

As for the tree.. Yes i suppose the best thing to do would be to remove the offending part, but leave the bottom part in case there are bats in there, although i have never seen any.

Why do people plant trees in stupid places?? Is it ignorance, or do not care, or intent to maintain the thing or what?? Why would someone that is supposed to know about trees and stuff think it was a good idea to plant something that grows to that size 20 feet from a building..

john..

2 hours ago, MattyF said:

If it was my spec job I would reduce that limb taking off most of the upright section... don't remove it !

As someone who's not clued up on this stuff, why should it not be removed? To prevent damage/wounding or unbalancing it?

Would you just remove the bulk of the weight from it but leave it so it's not heavy enough to tear out or split?

11 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

As someone who's not clued up on this stuff, why should it not be removed? To prevent damage/wounding or unbalancing it?

Would you just remove the bulk of the weight from it but leave it so it's not heavy enough to tear out or split?

Yeah, basically.

Cedars typically rely on all of their limbs and the dead branches to essentially knit together and bear the elements like that.

If you remove dead or dysfunctional branches you will very often end up with more storm damage in the near future because branches that were previously supported are now vulnerable because the other supporting dead or dysfunctional limbs have been removed

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

It is a bit big for me, and whether it would be the right thing to do or not i have no idea, but i would reduce the limb down, leaving a vertical bit about 10 foot high i suppose. Idea being that birds and the like might like the crack, and, having injured the tree by sawing a bit off, well, at least the injured bit would be some distance from the main body of the tree, so you could always saw a bit more off if needed.

It would obviously be better to do as little as possible as otherwise the tree would look very lop sided..

Wonder if rot could attack the tree from the crack though??

john..

4 minutes ago, john87 said:

Wonder if rot could attack the tree from the crack though??

john..

Not a massive concern. The only other option would be to prune the limb back until the stem, leaving a huge pruning wound, leading far worse decay potential. 

Personally I'd reduce the defective limb by 3-4 metres and install bracing.

• Like 3

One thing to watch out for with cedars is a change in wind loading. There was a decent cedar of Lebanon at Kirkley Hall, Northumberland. It was located in a courtyard and failed once it grew higher than the surrounding buildings.

Edited by Mark J

14 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Yeah, basically.

Cedars typically rely on all of their limbs and the dead branches to essentially knit together and bear the elements like that.

If you remove dead or dysfunctional branches you will very often end up with more storm damage in the near future because branches that were previously supported are now vulnerable because the other supporting dead or dysfunctional limbs have been removed

Right, i see.

So if the tree's deadwooded you could be removing limbs that, while they're dead, are allowing other limbs to knit together for support. So ultimately leads to wind damage and tear outs as limbs grow beyond their own strength?