Giant tree, giant crack!!

john87

Hi All,

Take a look at this.. I think it is a scots pine?? Whatever, it is a massive thing, the photos do not do it justice at all. There is a huge branch that must be over 2 feet in diameter that runs right up to the top of the tree. Trouble is, there is a very large crack in said branch.. Could not be in a worse spot.. I would say that this branch needs to be removed before it falls and crushes the nearby buildings.

Have a look at the photos and see what you think??

Thank you

john..

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

It’s a cedar, and a crack like this is not unusual, there is a school of thought that says that the cleaning out and deadwooding of this tree has caused wind penetration and twisted the limb to cause this.

It’s a school of thought I adhere to.

• Like 6

Looks like its growth pattern has overloaded a mechanically poor bend in the branch. There is no evidence of previous pruning or deadwooding in that shot.

Possibly relieving some loading or tip reduction could help. But Only if there is a target under that tree would i be worried. K

• Like 1

There has been some pruning done in the past, cannot remember where though!! Nothing has been touched on it for 30 years at least though. It is in a sheltered location surrounded by buildings that have to be 40 feet high all around, although the tree is a lot higher than that.. As to targets, all depends in which direction it fell!!

If there was a target, would you be a bit worried or very worried??

john..

9 hours ago, john87 said:

There has been some pruning done in the past, cannot remember where though!! Nothing has been touched on it for 30 years at least though. It is in a sheltered location surrounded by buildings that have to be 40 feet high all around, although the tree is a lot higher than that.. As to targets, all depends in which direction it fell!!

If there was a target, would you be a bit worried or very worried??

john..

Well, one other point is that split is a good Bat cavity, so would be looking at that first. I think  pruning reduction would be better than whole branch removal, as the tensions built up in the wood around that split will be a problem! K

• Like 1

Looks like historic hazard beam failure - release of internal forces on a curving branch (which looks reasonably stable now). Whole branch removal may lead to subsequent branch failures due to removal of natural bracing and new wind dynamics.  If unmoveable target present, then belts and braces approach would be - tip prune and or steel rod bracing through cracks, but as Khriss says bat awareness important before any work that may disturb a potential roost.

If in doubt, get a tree inspector out to advise.

• Like 2

Looks like its growth pattern has overloaded a mechanically poor bend in the branch. There is no evidence of previous pruning or deadwooding in that shot.

Khriss, you absolute waste of space charlatan. You've just trotted out a truism to try to look clever and then got something completely wrong. There's a pruning wound in the photo and the lack of deadwood in a cedar that size is itself a strong indicator it's been deadwooded at some point. Cedars that size will almost always have deadwood.

Well, one other point is that split is a good Bat cavity, so would be looking at that first.

And something you just can't help yourself from doing is attempting to throw a spanner (any spanner) in the works with some legal/eco bollocks. And it's not merely a meticulous consideration of all factors. You just love it. You remind me of an archaeologist I once had the displeasure of meeting, who proudly proclaimed that his job was to stand in the way of progress and waste people's money. He was a twat too.

You only take in idiots with scummy blarney like this. The rest of us aren't impressed and would rather you took your corporate shitehawkery to an industry that's already full of it. Maybe building snagging or insurance sales.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 8

52 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Khriss, you absolute waste of space charlatan. You've just trotted out a truism to try to look clever and then got something completely wrong. There's a pruning wound in the photo and the lack of deadwood in a cedar that size is itself a strong indicator it's been deadwooded at some point. Cedars that size will almost always have deadwood.

And something you just can't help yourself from doing is attempting to throw a spanner (any spanner) in the works with some legal/eco bollocks. And it's not merely a meticulous consideration of all factors, including relevant legal matters in play. You just love it. You remind me of an archaeologist I once had the displeasure of meeting, who proudly proclaimed that his job was to stand in the way of progress and waste people's money. He was a twat too.

You only take in idiots with scummy blarney like this. The rest of us aren't impressed and would rather you took your corporate shitehawkery to an industry that's already full of it. Maybe building snagging or insurance sales.

Jesus 🙄 do you just sit there with this boiling in  yr brain? And this aint the first time... K