Jump to content
Big J

Value of nearly new work vehicles

Recommended Posts

I was chatting to the chap at the Citroen garage about the value of my 2 year old Berlingo the other day. I was just curious to see what it's likely value might be in a year.

 

Anyway, it turns out that there is a massive delay for new vehicles, with new Berlingo orders scheduled for a Christmas build and new Dispatch scheduled for March. Consequently, 2nd hand values have shot up, especially for nearly new vans.

 

Looking online, it would appear that my 2 year old , 36k mile Berlingo is worth only a couple of grand less than I payed for it. It's a rare spec with the highest power output and loads and loads of extras.

 

We might be purchasing a house in Sweden in October and all cash is useful. Would you gamble on the prices still being high in 10-12 months time (when I'd otherwise sell it) , or would you sell up now and run an older vehicle until then? How long will the production delays last? Anyone any experience in other related industries? 

 

Given that production delays are making life difficult for lots of people in lots of industries, I'm inclined to try to capitalise on what I can.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy who sold me the new Ranger said the same thing, I have to wait till November which is no big deal.

Told me my Ranger (‘15) is still worth 14k! Half the cost of a brand new one. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had the 15 plate transit custom serviced, taxed & MoTd again. 
 

Every year I think - perhaps I should let it go since it only does 2.5-3k per year for past few years - 30k total. But it’s bought & paid for, handy when I need it and I genuinely don’t like buying & selling. 
 

Chatting yesterday to a friend who is aware of such market issues and is currently one of the hoards visiting Cornwall. 
 

Alongside pandemic manufacturing issues, his opinion was that late, low to mid miles, tidy vans are like hens teeth in large part due to the explosion of self employed, final mile delivery drivers. 
 

If I wanted cash for something specific I’d sell now. Bird in the hand and all that.  As it is, I’ll probably keep hold and ask myself the same question next year....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Just had the 15 plate transit custom serviced, taxed & MoTd again. 
 

Every year I think - perhaps I should let it go since it only does 2.5-3k per year for past few years - 30k total. But it’s bought & paid for, handy when I need it and I genuinely don’t like buying & selling. 
 

Chatting yesterday to a friend who is aware of such market issues and is currently one of the hoards visiting Cornwall. 
 

Alongside pandemic manufacturing issues, his opinion was that late, low to mid miles, tidy vans are like hens teeth in large part due to the explosion of self employed, final mile delivery drivers. 
 

If I wanted cash for something specific I’d sell now. Bird in the hand and all that.  As it is, I’ll probably keep hold and ask myself the same question next year....

 

Good point. It might be worth advertising it at a daft price and if it doesn't sell, no matter, if it does, kerrching.

 

There isn't really anything that I specifically need that particular van for, but if I was to replace the van and Touareg at the same time with a couple of older 4x4 estates (Volvo XC70 for example), I'd liberate about £18k or so. That's almost a third of a house in Sweden 😄

 

16 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

The guy who sold me the new Ranger said the same thing, I have to wait till November which is no big deal.

Told me my Ranger (‘15) is still worth 14k! Half the cost of a brand new one. 

 

It's mad. I remember struggling to get £8k for my 6 year old Navara in 2017. It ended up going to Nigeria.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Big J said:

 

I remember struggling to get £8k for my 6 year old Navara in 2017. It ended up going to Nigeria.

Was that just before they were due to snap in half?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big J said:

Looking online, it would appear that my 2 year old , 36k mile Berlingo is worth only a couple of grand less than I payed for it.

 

My mate keeps selling crappy old Vivaros for silly money. Old '07 plates and stuff for like 6k+. The prices are crazy.

 

I looked recently at Sprinters like mine and what they're selling for. Looks like its gone up in value by a couple of grand from what i paid a year ago. Bizarre.

 

1 hour ago, Big J said:

 

I'd liberate about £18k or so. That's almost a third of a house in Sweden 😄

 

 

The difference in house prices between here and Europe is unreal. Looking at 4 bed detached houses with land in France for half the cost of a studio flat around here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

 

My mate keeps selling crappy old Vivaros for silly money. Old '07 plates and stuff for like 6k+. The prices are crazy.

 

I looked recently at Sprinters like mine and what they're selling for. Looks like its gone up in value by a couple of grand from what i paid a year ago. Bizarre.

 

 

The difference in house prices between here and Europe is unreal. Looking at 4 bed detached houses with land in France for half the cost of a studio flat around here.

 

I guess it's a combination of huge demand (big uptick in home deliveries and people going self employed) and lack of production. The perfect storm.

 

We're probably looking at spending a total of £80k on a 300 square metre house, once it's fully renovated. Triple glazed and geothermal heating too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing vehicles is always expense IME plus a load of hassle. I would hang in there and hope 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d flog it now if you don’t really need it - they won’t go up any more and in reality I reckon all vehicle values are due to crash soon…

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Changing vehicles is always expense IME plus a load of hassle. I would hang in there and hope 

 

20 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’d flog it now if you don’t really need it - they won’t go up any more and in reality I reckon all vehicle values are due to crash soon…

 

Oooh, two conflicting bits of advice - which one to go with?? 😄

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.