Smart meter for electricity

kevinjohnsonmbe

16 minutes ago, Rac man said:

Be careful with the dishwasher mate of mine in fire brigade says they are number 1 for causing house fires🔥🔥🔥 🔥🔥

Thought it would be more likely to be tumble dryers, fluff and heating elements burn well. It as certainly one of the biggest causes on the commercial industrial sites I worked on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Anyone got any experiences or thoughts to share about smart metres?

I thought they were always 39 and 2/5 inches whether smart or shabby 😉

The issue is that they actually reduce the maximum current into the house, no problem for most, and can be switched off remotely if their sim is in reception. I know know a village locally where they fitted longer antenna and still they don't log on. I also worry that they measure reactive loads accurately. I think only the moving disc ones did this properly but not at all sure.

Ours has flagged up that the fridge freezer comes on a lot (150W)  and I now switch of my PC when I go out (another 150W).

I haven't looked at accrued data as ours was only fitted last week. It has made me consider getting a 5kWh battery as we plainly export a lot during the summer but I'd need to find a tariff that would allow me to top up at night in the winter to give a payback.

6 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I thought they were always 39 and 2/5 inches whether smart or shabby 😉

The issue is that they actually reduce the maximum current into the house, no problem for most, and can be switched off remotely if their sim is in reception. I know know a village locally where they fitted longer antenna and still they don't log on. I also worry that they measure reactive loads accurately. I think only the moving disc ones did this properly but not at all sure.

Ours has flagged up that the fridge freezer comes on a lot (150W)  and I now switch of my PC when I go out (another 150W).

I haven't looked at accrued data as ours was only fitted last week. It has made me consider getting a 5kWh battery as we plainly export a lot during the summer but I'd need to find a tariff that would allow me to top up at night in the winter to give a payback.

I’m on the way towards thinking it might be ½ worth looking at the figures to see if they justify a battery pack as part of an upgrade to the PV. 

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Think they are a good idea could be some privacy issues though?

Doe it give out any info of info on your daily routine that might be sold on  to third parties etc?

The French are getting heated up about their meters collecting data on their daily lives. Perhaps the British should be...

Or is that tin foil hat stuff iv'e not really loooked at it in depth.....

Yeah, I guess it could provide some info on life patterns but just how that would be useful / come as a surprise to anyone is hard to imagine. 

1 hour ago, Rac man said:

Be careful with the dishwasher mate of mine in fire brigade says they are number 1 for causing house fires🔥🔥🔥 🔥🔥

Think they are 4th on the list

WWW.WHICH.CO.UK

Which? investigates the household appliances and brands that pose the biggest risk of fire. Join our campaign to End...

4 minutes ago, porky said:

I never understood why the Government bankrolled Smart Meter installation. 

They will ultimately work to change the way electricity is generated (and more importantly stored). When the uptake of electric cars and household battery storage has gained sufficient traction it will be possible for anything plugged into the grid to send power back - this will help to smooth out the peaks and troughs of renewable energy production as there is the capacity for storage which can be called upon (to the benefit of the battery owners) when demand is high. 
I’m pretty cynical with regards electric vehicles but can totally see how this approach makes sense and could work. 

• Like 1

You will be sorry when it all goes wrong.. They are terribly unreliable.. Wait till the day it claims you own thousands..

You will find that you are right up the creek.. The firm that do the metering are a different firm to the one that sells you the electric and there is NO WAY that they are going to admit to the seller that their meters are crap..

john..

• Like 2