Smart meter for electricity

kevinjohnsonmbe

21 minutes ago, dumper said:

Can you get three phase smart meters? Going to change house supply over from two phase,

I do not think it is usual.. I have had three new three phase meters in ten years, not one was a "smart" one, but apparently they are available..

john..

Edited by john87
Added something

Smart meters? Well not very smart in our case. When I had the solar panels put in a good few years back the meter was the old type (pre digital), the solar was plumbed into it and the meter actually went into reverse! Got away with it for about 18 months before the energy company decided the meter wasn’t compatible with the solar and feed in tariff [emoji23]

They upgraded us to a smart meter - and it didn’t work! We’re now on smart meter number three and none of them have worked, the joys of having the meter nestled under the stairs surrounded by sandstone walls. It can’t get a signal [emoji849]

We still have to submit meter readings and have the annual meter reading from the energy company!

4 minutes ago, Gav73 said:

Smart meters? Well not very smart in our case. When I had the solar panels put in a good few years back the meter was the old type (pre digital), the solar was plumbed into it and the meter actually went into reverse! Got away with it for about 18 months before the energy company decided the meter wasn’t compatible with the solar and feed in tariff emoji23.png

They upgraded us to a smart meter - and it didn’t work! We’re now on smart meter number three and none of them have worked, the joys of having the meter nestled under the stairs surrounded by sandstone walls. It can’t get a signal emoji849.png

We still have to submit meter readings and have the annual meter reading from the energy company!

I know a meter reader.. He told me that the things are that dire, that they had continued to read them the manual way for two years as they were so unreliable...

john..

My electricity bill doubled after I (reluctantly) allowed SSEB to install a smart meter (I suspect that the old one was so old it was running slow, I cannot think of any other explanation). I haven't seen a single benefit from having a smart meter, although I acknowledge that there are massive benefits to SSEB.

I would have less reluctance to smart meters and less cynicism if the suppliers were at least honest and stated that the benefits are almost entirely the supplier's, not the consumers.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Treewolf said:

My electricity bill doubled after I (reluctantly) allowed SSEB to install a smart meter (I suspect that the old one was so old it was running slow, I cannot think of any other explanation). I haven't seen a single benefit from having a smart meter, although I acknowledge that there are massive benefits to SSEB.

I would have less reluctance to smart meters and less cynicism if the suppliers were at least honest and stated that the benefits are almost entirely the supplier's, not the consumers.

And less reluctance if the suppliers stopped trying to bully people into having one and stopped lying to people and trying to make out that; "you have to by law"

john..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treewolf said:

I wouldn’t disagree with you, and I’d definitely feel the same if bill near doubled, all I’d say is, you haven’t lost out, you’ve just lost your opportunity to pay for less than you used. Look on the bright side - you were getting a big discount and now you’re back on regular rates.....

(I wasn’t even convincing myself whilst writing that 😂)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, john87 said:

And less reluctance if the suppliers stopped trying to bully people into having one and stopped lying to people and trying to make out that; "you have to by law"

john..

I didn’t experience any of that...

I had to wait longer than I wanted to for the roll-out to reach us. 

I genuinely like it, I’m learning a lot about appliance ‘draw’ rates, combination of appliances that draw less than PV generation and I will make behavioural changes to further optimise economies. 

As Beau mentioned earlier in the thread, measuring devices have been available for a while but I never got round to seeking one out. 

Im happy for time being. I fully expect tariffs to change with cost rise at peak demand but that sort of thing already happens with water (higher standing charge if not metered, trains - peak travel premium etc)

I’ll just use those higher prices as the driver to modify my behaviour. 

On 24/07/2021 at 22:35, openspaceman said:

I'm being quoted £2400 to add the battery but that involves removing a perfectly good inverter for a new battery-inverter package and that is for a 2kWh LiPo battery which I think is inadequate and a 5-8kWh is probably needed.

I made a decision and ordered a 6kWh battery today, now need to find about 25 days work to pay for it.

• Like 1