Smart meter for electricity

kevinjohnsonmbe

Just had ours fitted. 

I did hear some scare stories from the moneysavingexpertdotcom (is it Martin Lewis?) website but have to say, so far, I’m well impressed. 

It shows cost per hour, cumulative cost per day, solar PV input, the actual impact of turning on/off any given appliance - I rather like it!

It is only with this knowledge - and the potential to alter personal behaviour in relation to behaviour/cost data that we can (a) reduce personal financial penalty and (b) change the damaging, lazy and ignorant mindset that electrify is always there, very cheap and taken for granted. 

Can’t wait for the MiL to visit - this will freak her RIGhT out!

Anyone got any experiences or thoughts to share about smart metres?

• Like 1

Think they are a good idea could be some privacy issues though?

Doe it give out any info of info on your daily routine that might be sold on  to third parties etc?

The French are getting heated up about their meters collecting data on their daily lives. Perhaps the British should be...

Or is that tin foil hat stuff iv'e not really loooked at it in depth.....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Just had ours fitted. 

I did hear some scare stories from the moneysavingexpertdotcom (is it Martin Lewis?) website but have to say, so far, I’m well impressed. 

It shows cost per hour, cumulative cost per day, solar PV input, the actual impact of turning on/off any given appliance - I rather like it!

It is only with this knowledge - and the potential to alter personal behaviour in relation to behaviour/cost data that we can (a) reduce personal financial penalty and (b) change the damaging, lazy and ignorant mindset that electrify is always there, very cheap and taken for granted. 

Can’t wait for the MiL to visit - this will freak her RIGhT out!

Anyone got any experiences or thoughts to share about smart metres?

I have both gas and electric smart meters Has not changed a thing except I don't need to let a bloke in to read it . I was not wasteful before and am not now . I never look at it . Its fine by me . 

• Like 5

Monitors for working out your own use have been available for 10 years or more and as far as I can tell thats all they are. Not a bad idea non the less. All I have used is something like this which was handy for working out how much each appliance uses. Cant have a smart meter here as there is no signal for it 

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop Nevsetpo Power Meter UK Plug Power Monitor Watts Meter Electricity Usage Cost Meter Monitor Plug. Free delivery...

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

The down side from what I can understand is that it opens the door for the energy companies to bring in more and more hourly variable tariffs, so say in the future you come in from work at 6, switch on your oven for dinner and plug in your electric van for a charge, you are now using say 18kW of energy along with many other people, energy company starts to struggle to meet demand and so increase the tariff for the next 3 hours to a £1 a unit and then at 3 in the morning the bring it down to 10p a unit.

Pure speculation by me of course.

• Like 1

I work in the energy industry (have done for 17 years) and fully expect more variable tariffs to come in. As has already been shown above, some people will change their behaviour based on usage even if tariffs are flat, some will not.

I think there will be higher charges in the winter evenings but lower costs in summer and overnights - so what it will do is incentivise people to do things that aren’t time essential (washing machine, immersion heater, running heat pumps in future, charging a car) when prices are lower, rather than just whacking everything on at 6pm.

This should also help with the cost of infrastructure - i.e. by encouraging people not to use lots of electricity at the same time, it should spread out usage and therefore mean there’s less need to build additional generation capacity or reinforce networks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roys said:

The down side from what I can understand is that it opens the door for the energy companies to bring in more and more hourly variable tariffs, so say in the future you come in from work at 6, switch on your oven for dinner and plug in your electric van for a charge, you are now using say 18kW of energy along with many other people, energy company starts to struggle to meet demand and so increase the tariff for the next 3 hours to a £1 a unit and then at 3 in the morning the bring it down to 10p a unit.

Pure speculation by me of course.

Thought that was the original aim but it got watered down in the first rollout? Sounds logical that we should pay more when it costs more to make and vice versa.

Many appliances have timers now anyway. We set our dishwasher to run in the early hours as it makes no difference to us but makes it easier for the grid 

• Like 1