Strange new twist in hiring staff.

Mick Dempsey

44 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I saw some fair piles from Inverness down to Dunoon and Lochgilphead and wondered how much was for the sawmill and how much to biomass?

The story got told originated from a UK importer who stated that the yanks had outbid many importers to get it sent away as their usual sources were not producing.....

During the trip, hotels and restaurant staff were in short supply, as was farm labour/pickers and I did get told that even offering good money wasn't turning up many applicants.

Off topic did you watch the match after pete 

I saw some fair piles from Inverness down to Dunoon and Lochgilphead and wondered how much was for the sawmill and how much to biomass?

The story got told originated from a UK importer who stated that the yanks had outbid many importers to get it sent away as their usual sources were not producing.....

During the trip, hotels and restaurant staff were in short supply, as was farm labour/pickers and I did get told that even offering good money wasn't turning up many applicants.

Ever past Angus Biofuels outside of Kirriemuir? Acres of softwood logs, many a nice diameter for milling and as clean and as straight as you like stacked a good 10m high. All for chip.
  • Like 1

Tbh, I am not sure that we have enough Mills or skill set anymore! The whole process from growing to harvest, transport to the mill, conversion and transport to market costs too much in the UK for the mass market.

Another time and another place - my family had a great deal of experience in milling but stopped converting timber to pit props in the mid 70's, but asked to supply more in the early 80's for the same terms. 87 caused a blip in supply otherwise, the timber just wasn't available in the same quantity to make it viable. There were plenty of Mills locally but all gone now. I did think of investing into it in the 90's but the returns didn't meet the investment requirements! 

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I’ve been informed that the containers full of Timber/Saw Logs arriving at Montrose Port go to auction at the Quayside.

Do they ship the Logs to America in containers?

They must arrive in the states in a very biologically diverse state if they do! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Not a clue, sorry. It’s just what I was told. I guess it’s ok for a short hop across the North Sea?

Could be?

When I was logging back home the logs could "go off" just sitting in the sun for a couple of weeks. Maybe Spruce is different?

1 minute ago, Mike Hill said:

Could be?

When I was logging back home the logs could "go off" just sitting in the sun for a couple of weeks. Maybe Spruce is different?

The loads at the time where Birch. I first got wind of them through a lad who does large quantities of Firewood. Thinks nothing of turning stunning logs of all species into it. He was told by a well respected local haulier when logs where in very short supply. 

So it’s a bit of a “my brother-in-laws sisters boyfriend” story unfortunately. 🤣

I think @Johnsond actually got his hands on some of the Birch, big fat buggers, not like you see around here that if they are that size they’re rotten on the middle. He might have a clearer picture. 

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

The loads at the time where Birch. I first got wind of them through a lad who does large quantities of Firewood. Thinks nothing of turning stunning logs of all species into it. He was told by a well respected local haulier when logs where in very short supply. 

So it’s a bit of a “my brother-in-laws sisters boyfriend” story unfortunately. 🤣

I think @Johnsond actually got his hands on some of the Birch, big fat buggers, not like you see around here that if they are that size they’re rotten on the middle. He might have a clearer picture. 

Transport guy hauling  out of Montrose dropped  a few ton of the Birch that were oversize for firewood processing, 250-400 diameter, I only wanted to mill a few logs just to see how it turned out. End product was some lovely clean straight planks so considering the price it was a very worthwhile endeavour. 

Edited by Johnsond

1 minute ago, Johnsond said:

Transport guy hauling  out of Montrose dropped  a few ton of the Birch that were oversize for firewood processing, 250-400 diameter, I only wanted to mill a few logs just to see how it turned out. End product was some lovely clean straight planks so considering the price it was a very worthwhile endeavour. 

Was that through Ken? Or maybe Harold?

Do you know how they where loaded on the ship? It was that lad with the big lumps of Oak we where gonna buy off of him that was looking to buy some but backed out due being so far from Montrose. 

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Was that through Ken? Or maybe Harold?

Do you know how they where loaded on the ship? It was that lad with the big lumps of Oak we where gonna buy off of him that was looking to buy some but backed out due being so far from Montrose. 

Harold Andy, I think just loose stacked in the hold and offloaded with the material handlers.

• Like 1