Strange new twist in hiring staff.

Mick Dempsey

22 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Would it not have been sensible to just buy another engine and bolt it in? Leave the faulty one with the idiot mechanic to sort under warranty while you carry on earning money. 

Seems an over reaction considering there are very few possible faulty parts to replace on the existing engine.

With every week a new promise of progress, I just found myself led by the nose until weeks turned into months.

Stuart

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

I find it interesting reading a lot of adverts for subbies. Always includes the "must have"s and "good rates for pay" which makes my eyes roll.

Very rarely do you find any reason why a subby would want to work for that company. With it being a sellers market in effect, just offering occasional work isn't enough,  I need a reason to give you a day over everyone else. 

Job and knock, or "I'll buy breakfast" will usually do it. 

I’m just glad the ‘must have own insurance’ seems to have dropped.

Stu, for what it’s worth, the way you have battled through your situation is pretty commendable.

You’re out there busting your balls with little kit when many would have jacked.

You can obviously graft mate.

I’m looking forward to having a brew or a cold one with you one day.

Bon chance mon brave.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Seems an over reaction considering there are very few possible faulty parts to replace on the existing engine.

With every week a new promise of progress, I just found myself led by the nose until weeks turned into months.

Stuart

I agree, but it’s not the first issue you’ve had with this engine or Briggs agent if I remember rightly.

How much is a new engine? Definitely less than €3000 I’d bet. I doubt they are a great deal less second hand. 
You have limited dealer comeback as you purchased abroad so you need to live with the fact that warranty issues have to go through a local Briggs and Stratton muppet who has zero interest or financial benefit to sort your problem. Your previous run-ins with this service agent to date have probably bumped you way way down their priority list…

I’d personally buy a new engine and get out there working. (I might even buy it off the prat who is spinning you along, in an attempt to garner some good-will). Once back up and running I would then arrange a part-exchange with a local dealer for another machine, and flog the (eventually) repaired engine on eBay separately.

And I’d also put inline filters in my fuel lines, and buy petrol from somewhere else!….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've another machine due (delayed) so my pain will soon be over.

Yes, if I had any inclination that it would take almost 4 months (so far) to sort I could have ordered a fresh engine, (hindsight eh?) but in reality probably not have not ordered a fresh engine but shipped it back to the U.K dealer for a trustworthy competent repair.

There is a 30micron inline filter as standard and the local petrol must be O.K because local cars are running fine on it.

It is a different Briggs agent to the previous docile one.

There are no GM dealers in the west of France who are Briggs Efi certified anyway.

So the Briggs Efi agent I have engaged is not a GM agent and therefore neutral as to the provenance of the engine.

Stuart

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 17:17, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Meh - NZ like rural Berkshire (with coast), by the time you’ve done your bungi jump, skydive, beach BBQ etc you’re ready to get home. Worth a month, not much more

When I was in factory work a crew was in fitting a new machine. One day their foreman got a phone call and was quite done about it moaning to his lads and they all seemed despondent. I asked why and he said the gaffer had just informed him the next job was in New Zealand. I said it must be nice to get sent to places like that and he replied that it is the most boring place on Earth once you have seen the sights.

7 hours ago, peatff said:

When I was in factory work a crew was in fitting a new machine. One day their foreman got a phone call and was quite done about it moaning to his lads and they all seemed despondent. I asked why and he said the gaffer had just informed him the next job was in New Zealand. I said it must be nice to get sent to places like that and he replied that it is the most boring place on Earth once you have seen the sights.

Depends on whether you have a sense of adventure or not.

I love going back there but it is 30 years behind. You can have unbelievable experiences in the mountains and forests , however if you are into pub culture, whippets and day time TV its not going to be for you.

• Like 3

Someone told me that most Scandinavian sawn timber is going stateside at huge cost compared to what Brit importers were paying.

HS2 is paying huge money which is attracting folk who weren't getting that level of pay elsewhere which is screwing up "local" employment....

There have been huge rises in the cistof imported materials and some stuff is in short supply and alternatives are having to be sourced from a wider, European market too.

• Like 1

Someone told me that most Scandinavian sawn timber is going stateside at huge cost compared to what Brit importers were paying.

HS2 is paying huge money which is attracting folk who weren't getting that level of pay elsewhere which is screwing up "local" employment....

There have been huge rises in the cistof imported materials and some stuff is in short supply and alternatives are having to be sourced from a wider, European market too.

I’ve been informed that the containers full of Timber/Saw Logs arriving at Montrose Port go to auction at the Quayside.

I saw some fair piles from Inverness down to Dunoon and Lochgilphead and wondered how much was for the sawmill and how much to biomass?

The story got told originated from a UK importer who stated that the yanks had outbid many importers to get it sent away as their usual sources were not producing.....

During the trip, hotels and restaurant staff were in short supply, as was farm labour/pickers and I did get told that even offering good money wasn't turning up many applicants.

• Like 1