Strange new twist in hiring staff.

Mick Dempsey

I find it interesting reading a lot of adverts for subbies. Always includes the "must have"s and "good rates for pay" which makes my eyes roll.

Very rarely do you find any reason why a subby would want to work for that company. With it being a sellers market in effect, just offering occasional work isn't enough,  I need a reason to give you a day over everyone else. 

Job and knock, or "I'll buy breakfast" will usually do it. 

• Like 3

I’m enormously sympathetic with you about your chipper btw. I’d be furious. I’m currently looking at buying a comparable piece of equipment and I’m negotiating money off purchase prices in exchange for not having a warranty. I read some warranty documents. Utterly worthless.

• Like 3

@Ty Korrigan I had similar issues with the two Multiones, they are still fixing one of them and I’m in dispute with them, it’ll get sold once it’s fixed. 
The incompetence is staggering, the lies and half truths make you doubt your ears.

I can honestly say this has tested my mental health and with the purchase of the Avant I’m finally seeing a way out of the 18 months of hassle.

My point, if there is one, is that you have to keep banging away, keep emailing, phoning, pushing and moaning, questioning and sending recorded deliveries.

It’s the only way out of it, when you’re going through hell, keep going.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, doobin said:

Don't tell me that now I've just bought one Mick! What's gone wrong with them?

They’re really good machines, it’s the handling of relatively minor problems that have ruined the experience here.

If I was in the UK with the support of Ranger equipment I’d be in a different situation.

Worry not.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

@Ty Korrigan I had similar issues with the two Multiones, they are still fixing one of them and I’m in dispute with them, it’ll get sold once it’s fixed. 
The incompetence is staggering, the lies and half truths make you doubt your ears.

I can honestly say this has tested my mental health and with the purchase of the Avant I’m finally seeing a way out of the 18 months of hassle.

My point, if there is one, is that you have to keep banging away, keep emailing, phoning, pushing and moaning, questioning and sending recorded deliveries.

It’s the only way out of it, when you’re going through hell, keep going.

I have long thought of you as a pretty savvy hard nosed arb guy and reading your words actually shock me a little.

I know I am not alone, I've other arb friends here who too have fallen foul of French aftersales and their loose interpretation of the word warranty.

These situations do make you question your sanity as I certainly wouldn't dare treat my own clients this way.

When the machine broke down in late March, I moved work around to do hedges, stumps and chippette suitable jobs and took holiday to minimise hire costs and stress, giving the Briggs guy a month from 5th April to resolve the problem.

I told the guy I would happily pay for every Efi component to be changed at my cost regardless of warranty.

I didn't factor on the mechanics incompetence and indifference.

He got the 'ump when I suggested he reach out to Briggs themselves for advice, coming back with '15 years a Briggs approved mechanic'...

Hopefully, this next machine will prove reliable, a simple Kubota diesel which can be fixed by any tractor dealership and a 1000kg weight so no deforming metalwork.

So far, I'm not picking up any real harsh criticism of my chosen future machine.

Good things may yet come my way.

Stuart

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Meh - NZ like rural Berkshire (with coast), by the time you’ve done your bungi jump, skydive, beach BBQ etc you’re ready to get home. Worth a month, not much more

Yes. Astounding country in many ways. But not enuff fr me. K

( that includes Berkshire 😉

28 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I have long thought of you as a pretty savvy hard nosed arb guy and reading your words actually shock me a little.

I know I am not alone, I've other arb friends here who too have fallen foul of French aftersales and their loose interpretation of the word warranty.

These situations do make you question your sanity as I certainly wouldn't dare treat my own clients this way.

When the machine broke down in late March, I moved work around to do hedges, stumps and chippette suitable jobs and took holiday to minimise hire costs and stress, giving the Briggs guy a month from 5th April to resolve the problem.

I told the guy I would happily pay for every Efi component to be changed at my cost regardless of warranty.

I didn't factor on the mechanics incompetence and indifference.

He got the 'ump when I suggested he reach out to Briggs themselves for advice, coming back with '15 years a Briggs approved mechanic'...

Hopefully, this next machine will prove reliable, a simple Kubota diesel which can be fixed by any tractor dealership and a 1000kg weight so no deforming metalwork.

So far, I'm not picking up any real harsh criticism of my chosen future machine.

Good things may yet come my way.

Stuart

Would it not have been sensible to just buy another engine and bolt it in? Leave the faulty one with the idiot mechanic to sort under warranty while you carry on earning money. 

• Like 3