Strange new twist in hiring staff.

Mick Dempsey

12 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

There is in the UK, house prices sky high, people not going on expensive holidays spending money on their property.

ps, you got that chipper back yet?

Is the cost of timber and building materials rocketing up in price over there with you mick. Got a mate over in the us and it certainly is over there.

6 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Is the cost of timber and building materials rocketing up in price over there with you mick. Got a mate over in the us and it certainly is over there.

Dunno, I’m not doing any renovation.

I have heard lumber prices are through the roof in the US.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Dunno, I’m not doing any renovation.

I have heard lumber prices are through the roof in the US.

Just general chatting away people discuss things so thought you may have come across that at some point mick. Just comparing how much the brexit  impact has had really on the cost of stuff considering your only a few miles over the water.

Edited by topchippyles

51 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

There is in the UK, house prices sky high, people not going on expensive holidays spending money on their property.

Mick, for the Love of Christ,  don't mention the bleeding chipper to him !

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

We must have all noticed the myriad advertisements for staff, especially decent climbers or even half baked ones they can fine tune.

I have seen a change in tone in the ads, companies are now selling the job like never before, ‘we have loaders, big chippers, do great work etc.’ As opposed to ‘no phones, no wankers and no wet legs’ like there used to be.

Serious shortage of skilled and semi skilled labour.

Businesses are going to have to up wages and that means prices to clients.

Never been a better time to be a competent tree worker, I’d be off to NZ if I was 35 years younger (and a competent climber!)

Agree the observations Mick. It’s interesting to see as a casual observer. 

Even starting pay for some not uncommon around the 27-35k mark. That’s outstripping LA TO salaries by quite some margin.

22 hours ago, Khriss said:

.... Anyway.... Yes, might not be my first choice. Not a fan of shellfish  tho the scuba diving is brilliant. K

Meh - NZ like rural Berkshire (with coast), by the time you’ve done your bungi jump, skydive, beach BBQ etc you’re ready to get home. Worth a month, not much more

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No.

The black comedy of Briggs aftersales continues, mañana after mañana.

It will be 4 months on the 4th August since I dropped the machine off.

The warranty ends on the 10th.

I don't even care about having the job done under warranty, I just want it fixed.

Empty words follow empty words, he will be looking at it tomorrow, next week, waiting on this part that part and of course he got Covid at one point.

It's replacement is delayed too.

I have shoulder problems from feeding that wee chippette so have been renting the Bugnot alot more often.

Hanging in by a thread these days.

Stuart

Edited by Ty Korrigan