Big Timber on Netflix

Ty Korrigan

3 hours ago, Gardenscape said:

I watched it. Thought it was pretty decent in the beginning then a I got fed up of the over the top drama, things going completely wrong then suddenly working out. The editing is completely all over the the place and the dramatised music felt like I was watching Kitchen Nightmares USA. At the end of the day It's reality TV, so it just entertainment. I think the majority of the show is scripted for the suspense.

Exactly what my brother said 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gardenscape said:

I got fed up of the over the top drama, things going completely wrong then suddenly working out. The editing is completely all over the the place and the dramatised music felt like I was watching Kitchen Nightmares USA.

They always do this crap. Added drama and nonsense. Does anyone actually like it though? I'd rather watch factual stuff, without the unneccessary bullshit added.

Black Gold was good, with relatively little drama. Axe men would've been good but it was so cringey.

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Also, the working conditions, is this how it really is? It is a shit show of thousands of trees ****************ed over on top of each other.

I've seen some pics and video of large American logging operations and quite a few do look like they've just dumped them all of top of each other.

This guy does some cool stuff. He explains sometimes why he aims where he does, for bucking to length without them shifting and being accessible for airlifting. (Heli logging)

59 minutes ago, Patrick goulding said:

I preferred axe 🪓 men like watching bukin billy ray

He's alright, but he gets old fast. All this "Oh hey friends, whaddaya say we all be kind to each other? Let's all be nice friends!"

As a southerner i find it sickening!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Also, the values quoted constantly for these logs, surely an exageration?

Stuart

Shocked me on that, as most of the logs looked rotten shite- but remember Kevin runs a saw mill, he doesnt actually lumber jack, hence bringing in pro fallers at the end of the job. Possibly its in his head as sawn timber prices. I got the impression that ' claim' was picked up for the program, maybe one another contractor got kicked off from? K

4 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I saw several 'tops' complete with branches being hauled out.

The fragility of some of those logs surprised me too. They could have lowered stumps further or blown them up perhaps?

Stuart

The explosives guy they used on the road construction was entertaining 😁  K

15 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I saw several 'tops' complete with branches being hauled out.

The fragility of some of those logs surprised me too. They could have lowered stumps further or blown them up perhaps?

Stuart

The forest company dictates the minimum diameter and length that gets pulled up the Hill. It can change daily,same as the cut plan for the logs.

High stumps are because the grain of the  timber is to swept due to the buttroots.The sweep  makes them dangerous to fell as the grain is not close to vertical in the hinge.

These stumps are why some of the faces look haphazard,the faller is missing the stumps that will smash the log.All the while trying not to cross one log with another, the bug stuff gets cut to length on the hill so it dosnt really matter.

When I worked in BC the first time, the highest grade Stika was worth $1200  per cubic, this was 22 years ago too.Big Cedar and Hemlock is almost always hollow and rotten for the first 10 to 20 feet.

Blowing stumps is generally only done on ridges where there is so little lift that the turns get hung up.The ground under the stumps just gets shattered although it is fun trying to put stumps into orbit.You never know where they will land.

Sometimes timber felled the previous season gets pulled early in the spring.

Axemen is pure fiction. It looks like they all sit around re creating dangerous situations that did happen but this time they control every aspect. 

Cable logging is a very dangerous job, amongst the three crews or about 60 blokes there would generally always be one or two off due to injury.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2