Black spots and green mould on logs

Theo18

Hello,

Recently a Gamekeeper allowed me to collect some felled horse chestnut that had been left in the woods for some time. I have noticed  there is some black mould (1st photo) and green mould (2nd photo) on the wood.

If I leave it this wood in the sunshine for long enough will the mould disappear? We've had about 5 days of continuous 30 degree sunshine here which has made the wood so light my wood stack collapsed (restacked now) but I am wondering if the mould will ever go.

Many thanks for any advice in advance.

Theo

Black Mould.jpg

Green Mould.jpg

Edited by Theo18

Thanks for your advice Muttley.

What solution would you recommend to get rid of the mould stain? The Internet is suggesting white vinegar mixed with water though I will have to wipe any excess so as not to dampen the wood again.

Regards,

Theo

9 minutes ago, Lowestoft Firewood said:

Make sure they have plenty of ventilation. I.e. Air all round and raised off the floor on pallets 

Lowestoft already on pallets and getting plenty of ventilation with the tarpaulin off.

My thoughts are this wood has been covered for a while and the mould has started a while back, you have then taken the tarp off when the weather has picked up ? Horse chestnut is not a good firewood for a start, i tend not to bother with it much these days for the same reason you have, and if i do get  some i leave it in lenghs in the building near the doors then cut n split it when moisture level has dropped a fair bit, seems to work for us,, 

6 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

My thoughts are this wood has been covered for a while and the mould has started a while back, you have then taken the tarp off when the weather has picked up ? Horse chestnut is not a good firewood for a start, i tend not to bother with it much these days for the same reason you have, and if i do get  some i leave it in lenghs in the building near the doors then cut n split it when moisture level has dropped a fair bit, seems to work for us,, 

It has been covered for about 4 months but the mould was already there when I collected it. I uncovered it a few days ago in the hopes that the high UV levels would kill it so as to become unnoticeable. 

Unfortunately horse chestnut was all the Gamekeeper had readily accessible though it could well be that someone took all the good wood before my arrival.

1 hour ago, Theo18 said:

It has been covered for about 4 months but the mould was already there when I collected it. I uncovered it a few days ago in the hopes that the high UV levels would kill it so as to become unnoticeable. 

Unfortunately horse chestnut was all the Gamekeeper had readily accessible though it could well be that someone took all the good wood before my arrival.

is it to be sold on or for personal use ? if it is to be sold on it dont look good when you deliver logs with mould on them, personal use i would not worry about it, leave the tarp off now and dont be tempted to put it back on if it rains as it will soon dry out, 

The black stain caused by the mould will not go away but that white mould and that green/black mould on the surface to some extent can be brushed off with a wire brush when dry and it doesn't seem to affect the burning of wood once dry. The stain sometimes is just on the surface and not far into the log but can be right through the log with some species.  Let the sun and air at it and stack off the ground but cover up as mentioned if rain is forecast.  If for own use when ready to burn just bring some indoors and put it straight into the stove alternatively run a wire brush across the face beforehand to remove what you can. Not great firewood but all wood will burn when dry enough.

Edited by Vedhoggar

On 23/07/2021 at 10:43, Vedhoggar said:

The black stain caused by the mould will not go away but that white mould and that green/black mould on the surface to some extent can be brushed off with a wire brush when dry and it doesn't seem to affect the burning of wood once dry. The stain sometimes is just on the surface and not far into the log but can be right through the log with some species.  Let the sun and air at it and stack off the ground but cover up as mentioned if rain is forecast.  If for own use when ready to burn just bring some indoors and put it straight into the stove alternatively run a wire brush across the face beforehand to remove what you can. Not great firewood but all wood will burn when dry