sitback on srt

My srt combo zigzag with rw with a 27cm tether gives me a lot of sitback when after ascending; you try to descend.

Is this due to the lenght of the tether?

In the petzl combo zz plus chicane, the lenght of tether seems to be around 15cms max?

IMG_9603.JPG

From memory I don't think you get any sit back from the chicane ... if I could get on with mechanical ascenders after using one of our lads a few times it would be the one set up for SRT I would use but I just prefer hitches !

I use a short quick draw tape sling with heat shrink on, if you get the heat shrink tight down on to the shackle and the rope wrench it removes the floppyness which does help. My rr sits just high enough it can’t contact the zigzag, probably about half the length of yours @naturarbo

I notice a huge difference when the heat shrink wears, I redo it every 6months or so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2021 at 13:39, naturarbo said:

My srt combo zigzag with rw with a 27cm tether gives me a lot of sitback when after ascending; you try to descend.

Is this due to the lenght of the tether?

In the petzl combo zz plus chicane, the lenght of tether seems to be around 15cms max?

IMG_9603.JPG

If that's a single leg tether, can't you just attach it on the side of the zig zag, on the lower carabiner ? I know it may upset the 'ol symmetry ocd' , but your shackle, along with the movement in the RW, must be where the problem is.

There's plenty of room over the zig zag for that RW to move down a load.

3 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

If that's a single leg tether, can't you just attach it on the side of the zig zag, on the lower carabiner ? I know it may upset the 'ol symmetry ocd' , but your shackle, along with the movement in the RW, must be where the problem is.

There's plenty of room over the zig zag for that RW to move down a load.

from all I heard this seeems th emost logicak thanks@Rob Thompson

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used to use same setup but with an alloy tether and also found it sat back a lot after an ascent. Moved to a chicane and no problems whatsoever, I think the lack of play in the system and the spring loaded mechanism makes a huge difference! I think the RR puts too much bend on the rope (compared with chicane) so it has to drop further to fully engage?