Extreme heat

Jack.P

42 minutes ago, naturarbo said:

in southern europe sometimes over 40 cs, drink water, salt, sugar/honey, lemon.Dont touch isotonics as they are full of shit and dehidrate more then the opposite.

Use f50 uv longsleeves, not sunscreen.

I passed out twice on the canopy was not fun, but one learns to avoid it.

There's plenty of evidence to show that isotonic drinks can improve rehydration and performance.

Can't find anything to suggest they dehydrate you. 

• Like 2

I swear by the High 5 Zero tablets, they're pretty cheap if you buy them in bulk. One of them in a litre of water keeps me tip-top in hot weather, otherwise I'm sluggish then cramping and headachy. They don't have sugar in them, so they don't give energy, but they sure as heck work fast. I mess about with different mixes of squash with them.

• Like 2

You get used to the heat after a month or so. Going from a Scandinavian winter to work in Summer heat knocked the socks off me,even though I grew up down there.

Its worse in the beginning as your body sweats alot more than it does after a while,as it learn to regulate better.

As Joe said,electrolytes are helpfull but don't let him convince you to consume them from his John Thomas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

There's plenty of evidence to show that isotonic drinks can improve rehydration and performance.

Can't find anything to suggest they dehydrate you. 

+1 for this. If you only drank isotonic drinks then yes, they would dehydrate you but they're designed to be drank with water. They give you all the salts/sugars/minerals etc and then you drink water. They wouldn't use them in pro sports otherwise. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Khriss said:

Plus too much water can be as bad as not enuff. K

How much is too much thou, roughly?

I drank 6l today ( 4 to 5s more normal summer drinking) while at work plus possibly another 2 or 3 on way home and with tea.

And a couple of ice lollies 😀😀

I can't remember having a p#ss all day either..

Not sure if that is very healthy

Really not looking forward to tomorrow 1.5k uphill walk throu crappy forest site, fully loaded with gear, water fuel etc and no shade left.

I bet the forestry office staff would complain and go on strike if had to work in that heat sitting on there bums.

I used to love stickng some bottles in freezer night before, but have gave up recently as gets the inside of ur bag and all Ur gear all wet.

1 off lads was saying really not a good thing anyway in this extreme heat as could shock Ur body with such a difference in temps.

Is that true??

21 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Only other thing is try to start early and finish early.

Another reason why’s  we love our electric saws - half five am and climbing with leccy tophandle, intercoms in helmets, MEWP on battery mode. Customer wasn't half surprised by our progress by time they were up for breakfast.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, drinksloe said:

I used to love stickng some bottles in freezer night before, but have gave up recently as gets the inside of ur bag and all Ur gear all wet.

1 off lads was saying really not a good thing anyway in this extreme heat as could shock Ur body with such a difference in temps.

Is that true??

I doubt it very much since I’ve packs are a recognised way of cooling people quickly if they have heat stroke