Fuel Stabiliser

Commando

4 hours ago, PeteB said:

I do wonder how engines will cope with EN10, and what additives will be needed for old engines which already need a lead replacement additive as they do not run well on unleaded?

Whereas with the demise of high octane petrol there was the risk of burning out valve seats and pinking (sounds more like pinging but is premature detonation) doing damage quite quickly it looks like this ethanol content may be more problem-some over time.

So far it has been alleged that it affects some rubber components and could cause leaks but also will attack aluminium and brass components over time.

The more immediate problem is its hygroscopic nature  the consequences of which I am unsure, rusting being one mentioned.

Not many petrol stations seem to sell super unleaded near me and I suspect they will become fewer over the coming years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Commando said:

Any recommendations for fuel stabiliser. I’ve been buying B&S Fuel Fit stuff off Amazon but it’s pretty pricy, looking for larger quantities than the 250ml bottles they sell.

TIA

Craig

I have been using that in all my petrol kit for a couple of years. It solves the problems of machines like mowers, petrol drills, pole saws that sit around idle for months. I hadn't realised it works out to be about £29 per litre when you buy it in 250ml bottles.

I have been using that in all my petrol kit for a couple of years. It solves the problems of machines like mowers, petrol drills, pole saws that sit around idle for months. I hadn't realised it works out to be about £29 per litre when you buy it in 250ml bottles.

Yeah that’s why I was wondering about other options[emoji106] Since I changed to a mulching mower I reckon my fuel usage has doubled. Thinking of running through summer without it and flushing either with Aspen Blue or Fuel Fit at end of season. Also wondering if small engines benefit from being run on Premium UL.
Thx Craig

28 minutes ago, Commando said:

Yeah that’s why I was wondering about other optionsemoji106.png Since I changed to a mulching mower I reckon my fuel usage has doubled. Thinking of running through summer without it and flushing either with Aspen Blue or Fuel Fit at end of season. Also wondering if small engines benefit from being run on Premium UL.
Thx Craig

Generally 2t engines are lower compression pressures so low octane is no problem and no benefit in high octane, same with side valve engines.  I think you need to have a vintage four stroke to need high octane or compression ratios higher than 10 or 11 to 1.

• Like 1