Ash dieback or just old age?

Thanks Doug, it's not my tree but a neighbour's few doors down.

I'd noticed it wasn't in best of nick and then this weekend I noticed another neighbour's kids playing in their garden underneath it - it's got such a spread it's over maybe 4 gardens. Just crossed my mind that if it is dieback then it'll need dealt with sooner rather than later given the gardens aspect.

• Like 2

OK, thanks all. I'll mention to neighbour that tree could be suffering from dieback and he should get someone to properly assess it and then it's up to them to get on with it or not as the case may be, it does give our garden a bit of shelter from prevailing wind so will be sorry to see it go but if it's dying then so be it.  Incidentally  I think this tree has a TPO on it but I would guess that if it is dieback then that would override the TPO.

Thanks again all

• Like 1

Ash were dying back like this before Ash die back , its a tender tree species in some respects as Innonotus love it and always have . K
I've looked an ash recently, it's clearly not well but I can't see any of the symptoms listed for ADB except leaves missing so how do we tell? Is there an updated list of symptoms for bigger trees?

It's also been very dry, had a willow the other day which had suddenly died and I'd put that down to drought rather than ADB.