Hernia

Mark Bolam

Pretty much constant mate.

I thought I’d pulled a muscle after football but the pain didn’t get better, or worse when I was working.

It’s a strange one, it only really hurts now when I prod a certain area, although I’m trying to be careful what I do.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Pretty much constant mate.

I thought I’d pulled a muscle after football but the pain didn’t get better, or worse when I was working.

It’s a strange one, it only really hurts now when I prod a certain area, although I’m trying to be careful what I do.

Don't prod it then... Sorry mate, I've had most things, but not a hernia. Useless again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, john87 said:

Ok.. What was the first sign you all had that you had a hernia??

john..

1st one to the side of my groin was fine in normal day to day standing and walking around but got discomfort when coughing or sometimes sittng say when driving ... it could be "annoying" for 3/4 days and then not have a repeat for weeks.

Lived with that for ages thinking I must get it checked at some stage and never got round to it, it was when I had other problems and the consultant was examining me he instantly said you've got a hernia there.

The others, whilst no pain initially the main issue was a bulge at the top of my stomach .... a friend commented why do your shirts look like they've been ironed over a Wok and that was what made me finally get them checked out having noticed the lump myself. 

With cancelled operations it was a couple of years before surgery, they got slowly worse but in the end the pain became intense for a few days after I'd done any excercise like a 45 mile cycle. It felt like the worst indigestion / heartburn possible ... however much you tried to belch or take indigestion tablets nothing would relieve it and at times it was excructaiting lasting 2/3 days.

I haven't had these systems once since the day of the operation.

Think my advice would be if you think you may, get it checked out. They'll only get worse and the soonder you have them repaired the lesser damage to repair and the greater the chance of it being a success. 

Edited by Witterings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t have it under local anaesthetic when they offer you the choice. I had my second one under local and I could feel them cutting me !!! Had to be numbed two more times, by which time my steely resolve had melted and I wanted to run out…..so they had to sedate me !! Not a great experience .

If you have the option , go keyhole but you’re often not given the choice.

The problem is the longer you leave it the more it might tear.

I nearly fainted in a customers toilet mine got so bad !!

Both times though (had both sides go ) I was back climbing steadily after 2 months.

Nothing can prepare you for the colour and size of your gonads post op [emoji23][emoji15].

You’ll be ok mate, you seem a tough type

7 hours ago, Treerover said:

Don’t have it under local anaesthetic when they offer you the choice. I had my second one under local and I could feel them cutting me !!!

B**&^s to that .... youch ...... I had a hip replacement and they gave me a spinal and whilst not a general anaesthetic I was very heavily sedated, I came round to feel a tugging on my leg and heard a banging and the room smelt acrid of burning flesh as they were hammering the new hip into the leg of the bone, I was so spaced out I didn't give a monkey's and remember saying something. The anaesthetist must have realised I was coming round and given me a dosage as I was straight back out again.

5 hours ago, woody paul said:

You always have a choice it's your rights. 

I don't think that's always the case, the 1st surgeon I saw was hoping to do me via keyhole, the 2nd surgeon I saw said it just wouldn't work as it was too big a repair (it may have got worse with the delays in surgery from being cancelled once before covid and a 2nd time because of covid) and there was absolutely no point as I'd be back in having it done again so I think they probably have to take into account what's best for the situation.

Edited by Witterings
  • Like 2