Chipper Vs Shredder for Hazel

TattyMac

Question

I've had confusing feedback from hire shops and I hope the experts will help me please.

My question is:   What's the best machine to hire for chopping up whole hazel branches?

Scenario:   I have a lot of cut hazel that I have to chop up and bag. I have to shred each branch in one go without removing all the little stem branches. So they will be too wide for some funnels I expect. I was going to hire a chipper but the hire man said they have problem with the leaves? 😕

Thanks doobin. If shops can't hire out a large drum chipper I'll have to see if a local arborist will be interested, but they might not be with a small job like this. I expect I'll have to pay for the cutting and chipping. Maybe I could reduce the branch size by cutting them in the heap.

What length and diameter are we talking about here? Over two inches I'd say 6inch towable machine for productivity. Chucking long branches into a wee chipper is a good way to have sore shoulders for a week. Also, what do you intend to do with the end product? Is it just to reduce the bulk or do you want to use the chip for paths etc or is it compost? The only option where I'd recomend a shredder would be for compost, a chipper should be the better option beyond that.

26 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

What length and diameter are we talking about here? Over two inches I'd say 6inch towable machine for productivity. Chucking long branches into a wee chipper is a good way to have sore shoulders for a week. Also, what do you intend to do with the end product? Is it just to reduce the bulk or do you want to use the chip for paths etc or is it compost? The only option where I'd recomend a shredder would be for compost, a chipper should be the better option beyond that.

The branches have been cut with a good motor hedge cutter. Half inch max diameter I would say. 1m long max but the stems can be 2 feet long out each side.

I'll be taking the chips to waste. There will be ivy in there.

So reducing the bulk to carry in a large car is the purpose.

A match would also reduce the bulk!
A proper chipper with good blades will chip hazel no bother. Drum or disk shouldn’t matter. Don’t waste your money hiring a small home owner jobbie, you would be quicker with a pair of loppers to get it in bags.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TattyMac said:

The branches have been cut with a good motor hedge cutter. Half inch max diameter I would say. 1m long max but the stems can be 2 feet long out each side.

I'll be taking the chips to waste. There will be ivy in there.

So reducing the bulk to carry in a large car is the purpose.

I run over my hedge cuttings  with a 16" lawn mower and a freshly sharpened blade, reduces the bulk no end for little cost.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Will C said:

A match would also reduce the bulk!
A proper chipper with good blades will chip hazel no bother. Drum or disk shouldn’t matter. Don’t waste your money hiring a small home owner jobbie, you would be quicker with a pair of loppers to get it in bags.

Thanks for that. I read hazel is hard to burn.