re - nesting birds

Anno

4 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

I would not trust any raptor group😳. What better way to find out where and with what protection the Goshawks/ falcons are etc by infiltrating a volunteer group. If anti’s can infiltrate hunt groups, coppers infiltrate anti’s then I’m sure a crook selling young can infiltrate a raptor group🤔. The bloke in the picture looks like he may have flip line. They’re not out walking that’s for sure. They’re defiantly going equipped to do something. Cracking photo’s, good camera positioning, pass the info to the local police, just make sure it’s not the wildlife crimes officer as they will only call them in for a voluntary interview and give them Restorative Justice with a £100 fine🤔

I got a wire core flip line the same as that one .  Somewhere ...Still attached to my old Willans T 22 !

Thanks for all the comments.  There are gaff marks up both trees - they have climbed on two separate occasions.  The footage is indeed very clear - flips lines, full kit and the woman is clearly carrying spurs which I expect you could identify by brand, the footage is that clear.

I agree that going to the local Rag might just give the position of the nests away and I don't think anyone wins when a journalist gets involved.  Likewise the local Raptor group; I've been in contact with them all along and they've been badgering me for a grid reference - but the Mrs doesn't want strangers coming round.

10 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

I’m sure a crook selling young can infiltrate a raptor group🤔

Yes, and also you get some people in these groups whose "passion" borders on extremism.  I want to know them before I give them any further info.  Especially since they were useless when I asked for help.  It's all a bit "take take take" and then 'thank you bye' and silence.

5 hours ago, Anno said:

Looks like they could be going to 'Ring' the birds for monitoring purposes, but they should have sought permissions.

Yup. That's what I reckon too.

7 hours ago, benedmonds said:

I would bet money these are ecologists, or researchers of some type. Looks like they have proper kit, even looks like  helmets in the backpack. I can't imagine your average nest robber would bother with health and safety.  

I think you are right.  I think these are ringers from the local raptor group who were informed of the birds and were too lazy to get permission.  Or had permission from a previous owner but were too lazy (and impolite) to pay a courtesy call before climbing.

So we're going to put the pictures up on FB etc and find out who they are. Then let the rural crime team know.  Then we're going to contact the body that issues the License and point out that if these clowns have a license, they are not following the policy (I've checked) and have already scared the birds from one nest and again from the second.  So, they're bad at ringing, ignorant and disobeying their own governing body's policy.  And about to lose that license. 

If people like these idiots upset all the landowners, then all the bird ringing stops and the birds they are supposed to be interested in lose out.

Trespass isn't a crime though, so what could they be prosecuted for? Damage to trees?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Slad said:

Thanks for all the comments.  There are gaff marks up both trees - they have climbed on two separate occasions.  The footage is indeed very clear - flips lines, full kit and the woman is clearly carrying spurs which I expect you could identify by brand, the footage is that clear.

I agree that going to the local Rag might just give the position of the nests away and I don't think anyone wins when a journalist gets involved.  Likewise the local Raptor group; I've been in contact with them all along and they've been badgering me for a grid reference - but the Mrs doesn't want strangers coming round.

Yes, and also you get some people in these groups whose "passion" borders on extremism.  I want to know them before I give them any further info.  Especially since they were useless when I asked for help.  It's all a bit "take take take" and then 'thank you bye' and silence.

I think you are right.  I think these are ringers from the local raptor group who were informed of the birds and were too lazy to get permission.  Or had permission from a previous owner but were too lazy (and impolite) to pay a courtesy call before climbing.

So we're going to put the pictures up on FB etc and find out who they are. Then let the rural crime team know.  Then we're going to contact the body that issues the License and point out that if these clowns have a license, they are not following the policy (I've checked) and have already scared the birds from one nest and again from the second.  So, they're bad at ringing, ignorant and disobeying their own governing body's policy.  And about to lose that license. 

If people like these idiots upset all the landowners, then all the bird ringing stops and the birds they are supposed to be interested in lose out.

Trespass isn't a crime though, so what could they be prosecuted for? Damage to trees?

Yes damage to the trees . Repeated gaffing is wilful damage . Any TPO on it ?

• Like 1

Someone’s made a freedom of information request to Gloucestershire Constabulary about the original post, good on him. They’ve got 21 days to reply but could take longer because COVID as given them the excuse to take their time and treat the public with utter contempt 🤔.Will be interesting to see what tosh they come back with. Read Restorative justice on the Gloucester Constabulary web site🙄. Another load of cotton wool, kid gloves, hug a hoody bull😫. Wonder how many extra civilians they’ve taken on to administer that department🤔2AB97724-EE6A-466E-87AE-97863F91FA94.thumb.png.a28d6dfedb5d71c58a93b2bc9ffd86d8.png

• Like 1

If they have been ringed then surely this would of been recorded somewhere by an official organisation and where did the birds go ??, and you are right about the borderline obsessive bird spotters !!  In reality it would be best if they nest elsewhere as they cause considerable issues as you have discovered !! same with such things as bats and dormice !!   Where in the country are you ?

Edited by devon TWiG

2 hours ago, Slad said:

these folks seem to have there own laws and can do what ever they please. If you had gone round disturbing the nests there would be hell on. I no they probably think there doing a good thing with what they are doing but sometimes I think some things have to be just left alone. It seems as though they are doing as much damage as a crook IMO 🤔 

Edited by Patrick goulding

In case you're interested, social media has turned up a couple of names.  Everything been reported to the police and we'll see what they make of it.

I'll post the names after speaking with the police.  Let's just say there is a local raptor club which is going to get its wrist slapped...

• Like 7

18 hours ago, dan blocker said:

Someone’s made a freedom of information request to Gloucestershire Constabulary about the original post, good on him. They’ve got 21 days to reply but could take longer because COVID as given them the excuse to take their time and treat the public with utter contempt 🤔.Will be interesting to see what tosh they come back with. Read Restorative justice on the Gloucester Constabulary web site🙄. Another load of cotton wool, kid gloves, hug a hoody bull😫. Wonder how many extra civilians they’ve taken on to administer that department🤔2AB97724-EE6A-466E-87AE-97863F91FA94.thumb.png.a28d6dfedb5d71c58a93b2bc9ffd86d8.png

That’s a particularly poorly constructed FoI which will yield a suitably vague and nondescript response to the few parts which will not be exempted info. 

Good intention - poor execution. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slad said:

In case you're interested, social media has turned up a couple of names.  Everything been reported to the police and we'll see what they make of it.

I'll post the names after speaking with the police.  Let's just say there is a local raptor club which is going to get its wrist slapped...

i am interested 👍

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Slad said:

No, trespass is not a criminal offence although there are offences of Criminal Trespass (not applicable here).

I'm sure it won't come to it but if things turn nasty civil law allows injunctions, in this case probably 'to not enter any land or premises owned or controlled by X (you)'.  Breaching that - a Court order - is like Contempt of Court; it doesn't go down well and attracts substantial penalties because it's basically a snub of the Court.

Just for your info though as I say I'm sure things won't get near that state of affairs in your case.

• Like 2