re - nesting birds

Anno

10 hours ago, Patrick goulding said:

Barb wire round trunk maybe seen that done in our local woods  to protect tawny owl nest boxes. They was in yew trees. I suppose if you still wanted to get up you would spur up and cut the wire off though  or climb across from another tree or they probably would use ladders. If they have got the cheek to be there with out permission nothing would surprise me. 

Thanks Patrick.  I'm thinking something similar.

On the DNA; you can get a license to disturb nests and licenses to have chicks/adults.  I've seen how dog chipping has been used by the bad guys so wouldn't be surprised if someone's worked out a way of "laundering" chicks.

In other news, I had a trail cam covering the approaches which I recovered last night.  Who would like to see the pictures of the illegal climber(s)?

21 minutes ago, Slad said:

This woman appears (IR photo) with binos for a good nose around.

622031888_WomanIR.png.c1e3539b5b57fc02b290a7cc7805c454.png

Then two of them stroll in, bold as brass a bit later.Pair.png.9887411c1d2fff1319a98a3a7bfc0afb.png

Anyone recognise any of them? 

Get this pic posted in the local rag with a cover story .

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Get this pic posted in the local rag with a cover story .

I would think carefully before doing anything. If the papers run a story then you're also advertising the nests to everyone.

You could contact your local raptor group but again do you want them turning up?

I listened in to a chat from our local rural crime police officer and he seemed to be helpful and aware, it may be worth you finding out you local officer for a chat.

Edited by Paul in the woods
  • Like 2

Slad ,,, those are very clear images and shows equipment , I am sure your local wildlife crimes officer would be interested in them , if not then there is little hope . How did anyone know the birds were there ??  The local raptor group could be useful as they will be watching it a lot , even from a distance . Where in the country are you ?? 

• Like 1

On 25/07/2021 at 13:36, Slad said:

I have two nests on my land.  The first nest was evacuated and I spotted spur marks going up the tree, so n miothing good had happened there.  The Raptor club people said it was unusual for people to take eggs now, so I am guessing the climb was not to ring birds but probably just their necks.  People usually shoot the nest with a shotgun according to them, but with me/neighbours so close, this charmer went for a more direct approach.  

They or some others moved to a second nest.  Birds fledged and the adults, as said above, are sharp eyed and noisy; if you go to have a look, you have to go quietly otherwise there is a warning cry and the chicks duck down and the parents try and lead you off by calling and flying in large circles.

Then it all went quiet.  Then a young fledgling started flying around crying and making a lot of noise.  It's done so for about 2 weeks.  I checked the nest; gaff marks up the side. Parents and other chick gone.

When we first found out about the goshawks, I phoned the local Raptor club up.  They were really keen to know where they are, to come and ring them and do whatever else makes them happy.  But when I asked about protecting the second nest, they were completely bl**dy useless. Nothing.   So I'm doing my CS38/2013, I'll be getting a license to disturb and I will be putting up cameras - and not some academic with a spreadsheet to fill.  As sort of pointed out above, I don't want other people with constant video coverage of my land thanks.

I'm on the verge of a rant - so I'll continue.  (Get some popcorn folks)

I ask if there is anything I can do to protect them.  "Sure, cease all operations within 450m".  Question to the floor: how big is your garden?!  450m covers our place, an agricultural yard, a number of paddocks and fields, 5 public footpaths, about 12 neighbours, three busy roads and a pub.  And as soon as I tell any of them about the nest, in theory they can all be done if they 'recklessly' do what they normally do, or in other words disturb the nest.  Bearing in mind the goshawks were happy to nest there "as is" (and in places like Germany, they are an urban bird).   

The point of this venting is that if people who are masters of their own window box, but nothing else, invoke laws affecting people who have actual land, they need to be sensitive to the unintended consequences.  I stopped work immediately on our land and have done what I can to protect the nests, despite the fact it has set me back by 4 months.  I've kept quiet so that the birds don't get more enemies amongst the locals. But despite that, it looks like someone has taken the law into their own hands because of the risk the birds will affect them (be it on their shoots, their businesses etc) or because they just want eggs/birds- and those who profess an academic interest in the birds appear unwilling and unable to do anything to assist, but are happy to turn the landowner and all living close by against the birds by spouting pointless restrictions better suited to the Scottish wilderness.

I feel better for that. I'll feel even better when I catch the b*stards climbing my trees next year.  

Rant over.  

Just post n shame, blatant offence. Should have read further up by the way 🙄 K

Edited by Khriss

2 hours ago, Slad said:

This woman appears (IR photo) with binos for a good nose around.

622031888_WomanIR.png.c1e3539b5b57fc02b290a7cc7805c454.png

Then two of them stroll in, bold as brass a bit later.Pair.png.9887411c1d2fff1319a98a3a7bfc0afb.png

Anyone recognise any of them? 

I would bet money these are ecologists, or researchers of some type. Looks like they have proper kit, even looks like  helmets in the backpack. I can't imagine your average nest robber would bother with health and safety.  

• Like 1

I would not trust any raptor group😳. What better way to find out where and with what protection the Goshawks/ falcons are etc by infiltrating a volunteer group. If anti’s can infiltrate hunt groups, coppers infiltrate anti’s then I’m sure a crook selling young can infiltrate a raptor group🤔. The bloke in the picture looks like he may have flip line. They’re not out walking that’s for sure. They’re defiantly going equipped to do something. Cracking photo’s, good camera positioning, pass the info to the local police, just make sure it’s not the wildlife crimes officer as they will only call them in for a voluntary interview and give them Restorative Justice with a £100 fine🤔

Edited by dan blocker
  • Like 3