yellow jacket style stumpgrinder teeth wear

Dilz

got a lski / predator 360 SW . only had it 3 months. done maybe 50 stumps ranging from tiny bush stumps to 80cm conifer stumps.  I switched the teeth round to the newedge for a full days work and didn't notice a massive difference and now swapping them for new ones because I've got agreedy poplar stump and a fair birch to grind tomorrow.  Just wondering on how warn the old teeth are. No experience of any other teeth apart from finger teeth. Warn tooth ison the left. Doesn't look too bad tbh when compared to the new one. Figure there is maybe plenty of life left I them or?? 

IMG_20210711_202325_3.jpg

it's only a small machine so shouldn't really be tackling the bigger stumps with it. Sharpening the teeth seems a faff. apparently need a special diamond stone but might find some place local that sharpens them. Will look at buying in bulk to save costs. 

41 minutes ago, Dilz said:

it's only a small machine so shouldn't really be tackling the bigger stumps with it. Sharpening the teeth seems a faff. apparently need a special diamond stone but might find some place local that sharpens them. Will look at buying in bulk to save costs. 

I bought a diamond wheel for my bench grinder, saved me thousands, literally. I buy a bucket of  x60 Yellow jacket from  Vermeer UK,  20% discount when you buy x60, that's your VAT paid if your not registered. I get between 3 to 5 sharpens from my teeth, depending on the amount of stones in or around the stumps. I change the teeth either every outing or every couple depending on how hammered they get. Each tooth takes a couple of minutes,  I set them in an old tooth pocket and find it is more precise on the wheel, plus it stops your fingers getting hot. Be aware you will need a mask with the dust. I wear a mask then a face visor to be on the safe side. If you have good, sharp teethyou should be able to tackle biggish stumps.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David Cropper said:

I bought a diamond wheel for my bench grinder, saved me thousands, literally. I buy a bucket of  x60 Yellow jacket from  Vermeer UK,  20% discount when you buy x60, that's your VAT paid if your not registered. I get between 3 to 5 sharpens from my teeth, depending on the amount of stones in or around the stumps. I change the teeth either every outing or every couple depending on how hammered they get. Each tooth takes a couple of minutes,  I set them in an old tooth pocket and find it is more precise on the wheel, plus it stops your fingers getting hot. Be aware you will need a mask with the dust. I wear a mask then a face visor to be on the safe side. If you have good, sharp teethyou should be able to tackle biggish stumps.

what diamond wheel do you have? Ive seen one with a special groove in it designed  for yellow jacket type teeth but its seems rather pricy for the amount of grinding I actually do.   

This is the invoice. I think I paid around £85 for the wheel. I also bought the bench grinder to go with it. You have to make sure that you ask for the middle inserts of the correct measurement to fit your grinder. On the order form there are options for coarse,.fine or medium but there only ever seems to be the medium in stock. As you can see, I've had the wheel 3 years next month

Excellent piece of kit. Rather than order on lines I rang and spoke to Michelle who sorted me out. Nice people to deal with.

20210713_182836.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/07/2021 at 18:37, David Cropper said:

This is the invoice. I think I paid around £85 for the wheel. I also bought the bench grinder to go with it. You have to make sure that you ask for the middle inserts of the correct measurement to fit your grinder. On the order form there are options for coarse,.fine or medium but there only ever seems to be the medium in stock. As you can see, I've had the wheel 3 years next month

Excellent piece of kit. Rather than order on lines I rang and spoke to Michelle who sorted me out. Nice people to deal with.

20210713_182836.jpg

Is that just a standard diamond wheel? not the one with fancy groove in that's meant for yellow jacket teeth?  I guess it is easy enough to just work the tooth to get the edge back.