Summer Branch Drop

Acer ventura

On 11/07/2021 at 13:14, Acer ventura said:

Nice bit of what psychologists call projection there, Julian.  The only person to have ever been banned from the UKTC - largely for your disturbing and weirdly obsessive single-white-male pursuit of me; which you're continuing on here.  When will you get it into your creepy addled mind that I just don't fancy you, or your ideas.

It's not straight in, is it.  Mick was trying to fob off the post with a bit of lazy name-calling.  I could've let it go, but I've called him out on it.

A quick fact-check.  These usually makes you uncomfortable.

The SBD Guide is free and released under a creative commons license.  Anyone can use it.  It's part of the mission in setting up VALID as a not-for-profit Community Interest Company.  When I'm running training, which people pay for, I post on the Training and Education Forum.

You had the arrogance to have a go at Mick because he didn't go off and read your document or acknowledge your self-professed expertise. There are other reasons to deal with peceptions of SBD, whatever that actually is.

I didn't get banned from UKTC, I left. You got barred, as I recall, then re-registered to get round the bar. That was weird. Haven't thought about it since.

I'm not pursuing anyone. You made indecent sexual and libellous comments on UKTC, not me. I left. You come on Arbtalk to promote yourself, nothing else. I'm on here frequently on a whole variety of subjects. I can't get away from you, not that you're of any consequence. Its a rough and ready place that doesn't tolerate transparent twats. Away back to the hamster wheel.

• Like 1

You had the arrogance to have a go at Mick because he didn't go off and read your document or acknowledge your self-professed expertise. There are other reasons to deal with peceptions of SBD, whatever that actually is.

I didn't get banned from UKTC, I left. You got barred, as I recall, then re-registered to get round the bar. That was weird. Haven't thought about it since.

I'm not pursuing anyone. You made indecent sexual and libellous comments on UKTC, not me. I left. You come on Arbtalk to promote yourself, nothing else. I'm on here frequently on a whole variety of subjects. I can't get away from you, not that you're of any consequence. Its a rough and ready place that doesn't tolerate transparent twats. Away back to the hamster wheel.
Blimey.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not wishing to intrude on a damn good argument but , 

I was talking to a farmer about risks from trees a while ago and the subject of summer branch drop came up.

He grazes sheep in the parklands of a couple of grand estates so is familiar with branch drop. He commented that his sheep are drawn to the shade of the trees but he has never had one hit by fallen limbs.

Makes me wonder why, are they more tuned to their enviroment or as he suspected, humans look up ..... sheep run 🤔

• Like 1

You're very critical of the sign in the photograph, but are you familiar with the site history? You state in your SBD guide that 'If any of our trees have a history of SBD then we'll manage the risk to an Acceptable level'. So what's to say that this tree hasn't historically dropped a large section?

I've witnessed SBD on 3 occasions, but I've never witnessed a failure due to decay first hand. Anecdotally that would suggest that if the risk of SBD is 'mind-bogglyingly low' then the risk of failure due to decay is... bamboozlingly low? I'm not sure what the technical term for this level of risk would be in the VALID system. 

3 hours ago, Canal Navvy said:

Not wishing to intrude on a damn good argument but , 

I was talking to a farmer about risks from trees a while ago and the subject of summer branch drop came up.

He grazes sheep in the parklands of a couple of grand estates so is familiar with branch drop. He commented that his sheep are drawn to the shade of the trees but he has never had one hit by fallen limbs.

Makes me wonder why, are they more tuned to their enviroment or as he suspected, humans look up ..... sheep run 🤔

I was out on a survey in the north of Scotland last week, the farmer's wife told me last year they had a tree at the end of the garden, one evening they heard a bang, went out the next day and the tree had been hit by lightning and exploded into lots of bits. As they cleared up the mess they found a cow and calf dead underneath. She said they couldn't tell if tthe beasts had been killed by the lightning or the tree but she had seen them sheltering under the tree earlier.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, daltontrees said:

Ha, ha, ha.   Those alternative facts, eh.  You were banned from the UKTC, largely because of your disturbing behaviour on there towards me and your appalling and threatening behaviour to Chris Hastie (UKTC owner) off forum.  If you're in doubt, email Chris Hastie.

Curiously, one of the reasons for your ban was exactly the kind of behaviour you're displaying in this thread - the one that's supposed to be about Summer Branch Drop.  You're attempting your usual weird mix of ham-fisted coercive control and playground bullying to try and stop me from sharing information about tree risk.

Your behaviour towards me is so oddly creepy and obsessive that in your posts on this thread, which I started to share information about SBD that might be of interest to other Arbtalk members, you've not yet managed to write anything on the topic of SBD.

Edited by Acer ventura