Summer Branch Drop

Acer ventura

Signs of the times - Summer Branch Drop

We know from the available data that the overall risk from Summer Branch Drop is mind-bogglingly low.

The risk is so low, our risk of death from driving for the few minutes it takes to cover 3km/2mi is higher than from Summer Branch Drop over a whole year.

Yet, fear-mongering and threats from risk entrepreneurs about legal action if such a mind-bogglingly low risk happens are pushing some anxious duty holders into wasting time and money on putting up confusing and ineffective signs; like this recent photo at Scone Palace, Scotland.

1884939751_SBDSignScone.thumb.jpg.d9be7c71967d073b46c4687741a70498.jpg

Not only are the costs of commissioning and managing these signs grossly disproportionate to any questionable reduction in a risk that's already Acceptable. Their ineffectiveness may backfire on the duty holder and create an opportunity for a risk entrepreneur to act as an expert in the extremely unlikely event of someone being injured or killed. It'd be all too easy for them to claim the duty holder hadn't managed the risk well enough with signs and they could've reduced it more by fencing or pruning. Or if the visitor wasn't an English speaker, why wasn't the sign translated into their language.

If you're a duty holder, or advise one, worry not about Summer Branch Drop and where, when, and how many signs to put up - or how many languages to use. We've got you covered with our handy Summer Branch Drop Guide on our Risk Management page.

https://validtreerisk.help/Risk-Management

• Like 3

Nobody knows why it happens, we know when and what species are susceptible. 

I’d suggest until we can come up with some sort of explanation you should hold fire on the corporate speak sneering and numbers on a RA. 

If I was the owner of a public space with a large spready oak I wouldn’t be setting up picnic tables underneath. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Nobody knows why it happens, we know when and what species are susceptible. 

I’d suggest until we can come up with some sort of explanation you should hold fire on the corporate speak sneering and numbers on a RA. 

If I was the owner of a public space with a large spready oak I wouldn’t be setting up picnic tables underneath. 

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't see anything of value in it.  Why wait for an agreed explanation?  Why ignore the numbers?  In the meantime, duty holders are being threatened about their management of SBD by some in our profession.

It looks like you've not bothered to read the SBD Guide before posting your opinion about it.  Not least because there's no agreement about what SBD is called, or what it is, let alone "when" that's helpful.

It did make laugh though.  "corporate speak" - is your literacy bar really set that low?  And the "sneering" accusation is ironically funny given what you've gone and posted. 

I agree with you about not putting picnic tables under a "large spready Oak" though.  Not because of the mind-bogglingly low risk of SBD but because of the damage likely chronic footfall compaction on a valuable tree.

Straight in with the abrasive smart-ass denigrating attitude as usual Mr Evans. And you still seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about other consultants and experts.

And more thinly-veiled advertising for your paid-for training. Business as usual.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

Straight in with the abrasive smart-ass denigrating attitude as usual Mr Evans. And you still seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about other consultants and experts.

And more thinly-veiled advertising for your paid-for training. Business as usual.

Nice bit of what psychologists call projection there, Julian.  The only person to have ever been banned from the UKTC - largely for your disturbing and weirdly obsessive single-white-male pursuit of me; which you're continuing on here.  When will you get it into your creepy addled mind that I just don't fancy you, or your ideas.

It's not straight in, is it.  Mick was trying to fob off the post with a bit of lazy name-calling.  I could've let it go, but I've called him out on it.

A quick fact-check.  These usually makes you uncomfortable.

The SBD Guide is free and released under a creative commons license.  Anyone can use it.  It's part of the mission in setting up VALID as a not-for-profit Community Interest Company.  When I'm running training, which people pay for, I post on the Training and Education Forum.

Edited by Acer ventura

2 hours ago, Acer ventura said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't see anything of value in it.  Why wait for an agreed explanation?  Why ignore the numbers?  In the meantime, duty holders are being threatened about their management of SBD by some in our profession.

It looks like you've not bothered to read the SBD Guide before posting your opinion about it.  Not least because there's no agreement about what SBD is called, or what it is, let alone "when" that's helpful.

It did make laugh though.  "corporate speak" - is your literacy bar really set that low?  And the "sneering" accusation is ironically funny given what you've gone and posted. 

I agree with you about not putting picnic tables under a "large spready Oak" though.  Not because of the mind-bogglingly low risk of SBD but because of the damage likely chronic footfall compaction on a valuable tree.

I was actually trying to come across as sneery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4