Swedish summer swimming

Big J

I'm in Sweden at the moment. It's mainly for work, but I am finding plenty of time to swim inbetween. 

I adore wild swimming, but haven't found anywhere in Devon since moving here. It's either the sea, or a splash in a river, and there isn't anything close to us. So I've done more swimming in the last 48 hours here in Sweden than the last 3 years in Devon.

Here are some photos from my swims so far (5 times in 48hrs 😄 )

This is from my first morning in Sweden. I did get a nice swim the evening before, but no photos. So I had the place entirely to myself and it was recommended by a friend who'd learned to swim there. I swam before breakfast (07:00), the water temperature was over 20c and it was absolutely perfect.

May be an image of twilight, lake, tree, sky, nature and text that says 'ULEFONE SHOT ON ARMOR 3W'May be an image of tree, lake, nature and text that says 'ULEFONE SHOT ON ARMOR 3W'May be an image of tree, body of water, nature and text that says 'ULEF N SHOT ON ARMOR W'

The evening's swim wasn't so well planned due to a lack of time, but I found a nice and popular beach at the SW end of Vänern (Western Europe's largest lake). It was a bit choppy and a bit too much like the sea for my liking, but still very pleasant. Water about 20-21c. 

May be an image of nature, tree and body of waterMay be an image of twilight, nature, sky and oceanMay be an image of tree, ocean, sky and nature

This morning's swim was excellent. We'd had heavy rain overnight, and the air temperature was a little low when I left the house, but the area I drove to was very sunny and warm (22-24c). I again had the lake almost to myself. This is a village swimming area in a place called Mölltorp, and had fantastic facilities. Changing rooms, fully disabled accessible (including ramp into the water), volleyball courts, diving platforms and sandy beach. Water was 20c plus and I stayed in for ages. 

May be an image of lake, tree, grass, sky and natureMay be an image of tree, grass and golf courseMay be an image of lake and natureMay be an image of nature, lake and grassMay be an image of nature, lake, grass and treeMay be an image of sky, nature and lakeMay be an image of lake, tree and nature

I pretty much just went straight from there to the next swim, about 25 minutes away at Granvik, on Lake Vättern (Sweden's second largest lake). The water is different there, being famous for gin clear quality and being a little cooler. Still a solid 19c, with a dramatic coast, beautiful harbour and nice cafe.

May be an image of tree, sky and natureMay be an image of nature and lakeMay be an image of nature, grass and tree

I'm going blueberry picking with my brother in law and sister in law in the morning, which I'll couple with a swim at a place called Hindens Rev (terminal glacial morraine peninsular sticking out 5km into Vänern.

NLT en Twitter: "Bättre vandring på Hindens rev https://t.co/RkzAiSNDc4… "

• Like 22

11 minutes ago, Big J said:

I'm in Sweden at the moment. It's mainly for work, but I am finding plenty of time to swim inbetween. 

I adore wild swimming, but haven't found anywhere in Devon since moving here. It's either the sea, or a splash in a river, and there isn't anything close to us. So I've done more swimming in the last 48 hours here in Sweden than the last 3 years in Devon.

Here are some photos from my swims so far (5 times in 48hrs 😄 )

This is from my first morning in Sweden. I did get a nice swim the evening before, but no photos. So I had the place entirely to myself and it was recommended by a friend who'd learned to swim there. I swam before breakfast (07:00), the water temperature was over 20c and it was absolutely perfect.

May be an image of twilight, lake, tree, sky, nature and text that says 'ULEFONE SHOT ON ARMOR 3W'May be an image of tree, lake, nature and text that says 'ULEFONE SHOT ON ARMOR 3W'May be an image of tree, body of water, nature and text that says 'ULEF N SHOT ON ARMOR W'

The evening's swim wasn't so well planned due to a lack of time, but I found a nice and popular beach at the SW end of Vänern (Western Europe's largest lake). It was a bit choppy and a bit too much like the sea for my liking, but still very pleasant. Water about 20-21c. 

May be an image of nature, tree and body of waterMay be an image of twilight, nature, sky and oceanMay be an image of tree, ocean, sky and nature

This morning's swim was excellent. We'd had heavy rain overnight, and the air temperature was a little low when I left the house, but the area I drove to was very sunny and warm (22-24c). I again had the lake almost to myself. This is a village swimming area in a place called Mölltorp, and had fantastic facilities. Changing rooms, fully disabled accessible (including ramp into the water), volleyball courts, diving platforms and sandy beach. Water was 20c plus and I stayed in for ages. 

May be an image of lake, tree, grass, sky and natureMay be an image of tree, grass and golf courseMay be an image of lake and natureMay be an image of nature, lake and grassMay be an image of nature, lake, grass and treeMay be an image of sky, nature and lakeMay be an image of lake, tree and nature

I pretty much just went straight from there to the next swim, about 25 minutes away at Granvik, on Lake Vättern (Sweden's second largest lake). The water is different there, being famous for gin clear quality and being a little cooler. Still a solid 19c, with a dramatic coast, beautiful harbour and nice cafe.

May be an image of tree, sky and natureMay be an image of nature and lakeMay be an image of nature, grass and tree

I'm going blueberry picking with my brother in law and sister in law in the morning, which I'll couple with a swim at a place called Hindens Rev (terminal glacial morraine peninsular sticking out 5km into Vänern.

NLT en Twitter: "Bättre vandring på Hindens rev https://t.co/RkzAiSNDc4… "

Looks amazing J👍

• Like 1

It’s like every village and town has somewhere like that to swim in Sweden in the southern part and shallower lakes can get surprisingly warm in July to about as far north as Stockholm.  Lots of good places to swim in southern Finland too in July but flies can be a bit of a pain at times. 

• Like 1