Advice on husqvarna saws (older models)

T.N

Afternoon gents, 

I recently picked up 2 new saws, both husqvarna. A 2018, 372XP near mint and a 3120xp both in amazing condition. I'm excited to try milling with the 3120 and the 372 will be my ground saw when on the job. Anyways. 

My question is having a look at these the chain oil is near black or super dark not what I'm used to seeing or using. Ive got all 2021 saw and use husqvarna recommended oil, mineral stuff that bio friendly. Am I right in thinking I can drain the older oil and replace with new stuff or would it be best to just top up the old stuff with the new oil and let it run out eventually? 

Not sure if this is good or bad? 

One of my older stihl saws (460 magnum) used the same oil, not sure what it is either. I have swapped that one with the newer oil and not noticed any issues. 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks in advance 

4 minutes ago, T.N said:

Afternoon gents, 

I recently picked up 2 new saws, both husqvarna. A 2018, 372XP near mint and a 3120xp both in amazing condition. I'm excited to try milling with the 3120 and the 372 will be my ground saw when on the job. Anyways. 

My question is having a look at these the chain oil is near black or super dark not what I'm used to seeing or using. Ive got all 2021 saw and use husqvarna recommended oil, mineral stuff that bio friendly. Am I right in thinking I can drain the older oil and replace with new stuff or would it be best to just top up the old stuff with the new oil and let it run out eventually? 

One of my older stihl saws (460 magnum) used the same oil, not sure what it is either. I have swapped that one with the newer oil and not noticed any issues. 

Thanks in advance 

Maybe if its black its waste oil been used in them,if it is wash the tanks out and fill up with your oil

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, T.N said:

Afternoon gents, 

Thanks in advance 

Hi either/Ivor both ways it will go along the bar/chain

If wanted to tip it over so empties then pour some petrol etc in tank replace cap swill it around a bit then empty out see what crap comes out if still dirty inside repeat but leave it inside for longer but once drained leave cap off so dries petrol out as best can before filling with clean chain oil.

You do get crap inside even if try to keep clean often it's that that makes it blacker.

Thanks gents. I psrt serviced both saws and cleaned them both up, wish I got before photos because they was filthy. But look like new now. Stripped with a deep clean on all parts, took a while but I enjoyed it. Serviced the bar also, just need to sharpen but the 3120xp has a meter plus bar and chain, so that will be boring to do but needs doing I reckon. 

Both saws fired up, first time, appreciate the advice. I followed it and glad I asked here first. 

Thanks gents, till next time 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, T.N said:

Thanks gents. I psrt serviced both saws and cleaned them both up, wish I got before photos because they was filthy. But look like new now. Stripped with a deep clean on all parts, took a while but I enjoyed it. Serviced the bar also, just need to sharpen but the 3120xp has a meter plus bar and chain, so that will be boring to do but needs doing I reckon. 

Both saws fired up, first time, appreciate the advice. I followed it and glad I asked here first. 

Thanks gents, till next time 

Get your self an electric sharpener and do that long chain in 10-15 minutes 

Edited by topchippyles