Electric chainsaws

neiln

What's the views on electric saws these days?  With sachsdolmakita stepping away from petrol saws are electric getting comparible?  I struggle to see a battery saw competing with a 70+ cc saw for performance or for cost when a days worth of batteries are factored in. Although for smaller saws I guess they may be comparible and with lower noise and no faff with fuel there are advantages.  I'm just idly thinking really but for some of my use I guess a corded electric would be great if it's performance and build quality were up to it.  I get ARB waste and process my own firewood, and mum's, and do maybe 12-15 m³ a year.  Mostly that's done with a little ms180, but also have a husqvarna 365 which gets a few tanks use each year to buck the bigger stuff.  I actually already have an outside power socket on the outside of the garage at the spot I use to cut mostly, and with the 365 being there if I need to do any cutting away from home (the occasional help a neighbour) I wonder about selling the ms180 and getting a corded electric.  The Makita UC 4051 looks like it could outperform the 180 and is slightly cheaper new.  Is it time to trade in and go electric for the little saw?  Something with the convenience, and a little more go, maybe a 12 or 14" bar, would be tempting if I got maybe half the cost from selling the 180, which maybe seems achievable/fair when I take a quick look on eBay.  So, what are the corded Makitas like? Or the corded Stihl?  Or any others?

I have a ?30 year old corded Stihl on a 12" bar and it's great; sounds exactly what you need.  You may be surprised by the oomph; I have no qualms about using it to ring up stuff that needs the bar cutting from both sides.

I'll bring it with me when I drop off that axe head - one day...

Edited by nepia

Really? Wow.  I haven't really looked at the stihl corded.  When I got the 180, about 7 years ago, the one corded saw they did was much more expensive, nearly twice the price iirc. It's good then?  I had no idea it has been around so long!  Good to no it's durable.  I'd hope the motor is brushless these days.... But have you even replaced brushes in the time you've had yours?

Iv'e got the old version of that makita one. Replaced the brushes twice on it  its had alot of use.

I like it although its a very old  design and makita could probably easily make a better brushless motor one now. Huskys one is near identical to the makita same plastic moulding different colour plastic

Corded  lecky saws seems like a backwater development wise  an   area left  for cheap tat brands or to niche to bother with much  quality wise.

Stihl have or had some nice quality looking high powered models but not in UK... and pricey

The high-quality electric chainsaws by STIHL convince hobby gardeners as well as professionals with their quietness and...

Extremely powerful, ergonomically optimised electric chainsaw with Stihl QuickStop Super Brake System (C-Q)...

Anyway can recommend the husky or makita one though the new toolless  thing on the cover looks  abit cheap and crappy

Edited by Stere

My son bought the corded Makita ages ago. It has a 16" bar, and it can turn it with ease. On occasion, I have buried it in big logs, and it copes well. For what it does, I suppose a 14" bar would be better for what I do, but I've never felt the overwhelming need to change it. It hasn't half cut some timber! 

I would/will replace it with the same again, no doubt. 

4 minutes ago, Peter 1955 said:

My son bought the corded Makita ages ago. It has a 16" bar, and it can turn it with ease. On occasion, I have buried it in big logs, and it copes well. For what it does, I suppose a 14" bar would be better for what I do, but I've never felt the overwhelming need to change it. It hasn't half cut some timber! 

I would/will replace it with the same again, no doubt. 

Electric motors inherently produce torque . Look at some of the recent electric powered motorcycles ( zero TT at the I.O.M. )   or the Tesla cars . Huge amounts of grunt . It can only get better IMHO .