Going average hourly rate for felling only service

Philby4165

Just now, Patrick goulding said:

Fair doos stubby not blowing my trumpet 🎺 but I wouldn’t make any money. How I’ve been brought up was a whip and a kick up the arse lol 😂 so I can’t help my self and get stuck in I’m a job and knock type of guy 😂 when I’m running job my old man would say come on will do another 😂 

2 minutes ago, Patrick goulding said:

Fair doos stubby not blowing my trumpet 🎺 but I wouldn’t make any money. How I’ve been brought up was a whip and a kick up the ass lol 😂 so I can’t help my self and get stuck in I’m a job and knock type of guy 😂 when I’m running job my old man would say come on will do another 😂 

I am , well was ( old now ) the same . So . If domestic price for the job . If forestry  piece rate . I like to be home too . 👍

• Like 4

Idd love to work on piece work lol. I can remember leaving school at 16 and going to a interview at a brick yard and the guy saying we pay by piece work being young and daft I thought **************** that not doing that. Now I think to my self I’d of been good at it and made some money 💰 my old man has always cracked the whip lol he was arborist. But me grandad a worked in pit at 13 14 with his dad and all uncles and brothers. he cracked whip same lol got paid by metre what they got off face. Good pedigree stock lmao 😂 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Patrick goulding said:

Idd love to work on piece work lol. I can remember leaving school at 16 and going to a interview at a brick yard and the guy saying we pay by piece work being young and daft I thought **************** that not doing that. Now I think to my self I’d of been good at it and made some money 💰 my old man has always cracked the whip lol he was arborist. But me grandad a worked in pit at 13 14 with his dad and all uncles and brothers. he cracked whip same lol got paid by metre what they got off face. Good pedigree stock lmao 😂 

When I was a nipper , in the summer I used to go tomato picking in the summer holidays . So much a punnet . One year I took a mate who wanted to earn some pocket money .  Unbeknown  to me he was color blind . Picked all the green fcuckers as well as the red . Bloke went metal . Never went back .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Stubby said:

When I was a nipper , in the summer I used to go tomato picking in the summer holidays . So much a punnet . One year I took a mate who wanted to earn some pocket money .  Unbeknown  to me he was color blind . Picked all the green fcuckers as well as the red . Bloke went metal . Never went back .

You was full of testosterone and afraid of the chicks back then stubby 🤣

20 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Lol never rate me father in law he’s colour blind. And one of our groundsman. And as for tomato picking younger generations would tell you to stick I think it’s getting harder to find lads/ladies what want to graft. Hard to come by. 

Edited by Patrick goulding
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Philby4165 said:

Hi folks 

I was wondering if anyone knew what the going average hourly rate was in Northern Ireland for a tree surgeon particularly focusing on the felling element only. I appreciate that it may vary somewhat depending on the size of the tree and that the removal and chipping etc can involve a lot more of the work but wanted to check whether there was a broad or accepted standard rate? 

Any thoughts much appreciated. 

M

Can’t answer for NI specifically, but hourly rate is for idle ‘gardeners’ that ponce around all day pulling weeds and LA workers stretching ½ a days job into a weeks work.  They are restricted by the rate as to how much they can earn so there is no incentive to graft harder. 

Price the job at what it ‘should’ be (varies anyway but you have to set your own levels), then crack on and get it done in quick time so that you can either do another or go home - again, as suits. 

Starting with hourly rates is fraught with hassle  Eg - when does your first hour start on arrival at job site, when the saws start or when you start prepping your gear, load the vehicle and drive to job site? What happens if you want a brew or a sandwich - customer not paying you to eat. When does your ‘hour’ stop?  When the tree hits the deck, when you leave job site, when you get home or after you’ve cleaned and sharpened?

Probably wouldn’t even talk to someone that wanted hourly rate. If I did it would simply be job price divided by the number of hours expected to take + at least 30% for hassle factor. 

• Like 5

As any tree company owner who has been established for more than 1 week knows, when dealing with mr or Mrs Jo Public,hourly rates are to be avoided at all costs, and so called day rate too.

For example if you agree a day rate, when it’s time to divvy up your client will bring to mind that on tues you didn’t start til 9, and thurs your lads took an hour and a half for lunch, Friday 2 men short on site etc.

So you will quickly find out all sorts of surprising deductions have been made to your invoice, and best of luck getting the shortfall.