CS38/2013 Tree climbing and aerial rescue - any tips?

Slad

Hi,

I'm looking to do the (CS38) 2013 Tree climbing and Aerial rescue course soon and was wondering if anyone had any tips for this course please?

Also, is all kit provided/hired on these courses or do you usually bring your own kit/helmets etc? 

Cheers,

John

Edited by Slad

Re kit, check with the training provider. Some will provide for an additional fee. If you choose to takr your own make sure you have all the relevant LOLER documentation with you. I would see if you can hire from the training provider to start with, no point in buying blind or worse finding it's not for you once you've splashed out a large chunk of hard earned on kit.

For preparation I'd say practice Blake's hitch, VT and probably Distel, maintain fitness and have a look through Tech Guide 1.

• Like 1

If you're offered the ability to rent a kit do it. I had all the kit when I did my courses but still rented as the instructors can teach you better when you have their kit plus it will be designed to be as simple as possible. When I did my course I was given a bag of kit and I was expected to take everything with me into the tree. 

Only advice is to relax and trust the gear. Sounds stupid but I spent tonnes of time having a death grip on everything when it's not necessary. 

Learn your knots too. Double bowline, scaffold knot and stopper knot are the main ones to learn. You can also learn to tie a VT too for a hitch climber.

Another thing to learn is a 3 knot climbing system. It's a way to make a complete system out of 1 piece of rope, it's part of the assessment (and useful for the branch walk rescue as you have to make sure you can't pendulum swing) If you learn those then it's going to be a lot less stressful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

If you're offered the ability to rent a kit do it. I had all the kit when I did my courses but still rented as the instructors can teach you better when you have their kit plus it will be designed to be as simple as possible. When I did my course I was given a bag of kit and I was expected to take everything with me into the tree. 

Only advice is to relax and trust the gear. Sounds stupid but I spent tonnes of time having a death grip on everything when it's not necessary. 

Learn your knots too. Double bowline, scaffold knot and stopper knot are the main ones to learn. You can also learn to tie a VT too for a hitch climber.

Another thing to learn is a 3 knot climbing system. It's a way to make a complete system out of 1 piece of rope, it's part of the assessment (and useful for the branch walk rescue as you have to make sure you can't pendulum swing) If you learn those then it's going to be a lot less stressful.

Don't forget distel, klemheist and numerous others that might work better for them. More knots you know the better IMO. As for the op find which knot works for you. I got taught on a 3 knot system, it's good to know and can help you out in some tricky situations 

• Like 2

Thank you - that's very useful. I have some kit but was hoping not to need to buy e.g. helmets before learning what is best.  (The trainer has just told me everything is supplied so that's all good.)

Thank you for the knot information; could you tell me if there is another name for double bowline and scaffold knot please?  (A lot of the knots mentioned have different names/variations on the knot-tying sites.)

I wouldn't panic too much about learning much before hand. If you can crack the three knot climbing system then that covers you for the distel, stopper knot and bowline. A double bowline is just called a double bowline. If you're struggling with finding a knot or aren't sure then dont bother. Remember the courses are there to teach you, if you aren't sure you could make life more difficult for yourself by creating bad habits or being used to tying something incorrectly