Timber chimney breast covered in fire board

Hi,

Looking for some advice, I have a fake chimney breast made out of timber. It has been fully clad with A1 fire board so there is no timber exposed. The closest part to the fire is approx 225mm to the fire board. I was wondering if this is ok? And what the likelyhood of the wood behind the fire board getting too hot. 

I have put a blowtorch to the fire board until glowing red one side and I have still been able to touch the other side so it’s quite a good insulator. 

Also, what temperature do wood burners give off? In degree Celsius. 

thanks,

Jeremy. 

Outside temps of stoves will depend of their construction.   All radiate heat to the front but some have side and or rear convector panels.  Called convection stoves these pull cold air under the stove and up through an air gap between the stove side and the steel convection panel.   This results in a cooler side than a radiating side and a reduced clearance to combustibles.     Many of the Morso, Arada and Charnwod the tall cylinder stoves have this feature,  sqaure box convectors are thin on the ground,  Morso S11, Morso 2840, Charnwood Skye and ARC

External casing temps on a radiating stove can get up to over 400 deg C depending on the fuel type and volume loaded but most of the time they run at about half that.

Is 250mm safe,  ask whoever certified it as safe to use.   Its his insurance that would have to pay if a problem arose.    As long as its not pink backed fireboard then i would have thought is would be Ok especially if a convecting stove was installed but I am a stove retailer and not an installer so dont take that as gospel.  If its not been signed off as safe to use ( this is a legal requirement) then you need to get a building inspector in to check the work and certify it.     No sign off then no insurance cover in the event of a claim.

A

• Like 1