Best brush cutters/clearing saws?

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

I use no guard and an Oregon Jet Fit head so no friction welding occurs . IMG_20170619_180545.thumb.jpg.f192e5c3c9076e7cb35bc987f91b090a.jpg

Great heads them, I cannot get on with the stihl "bump and go" head. Bit more wastage on the Oregon but you can strim right down to the ground without letting out 2 meters of cord!  

Its horses for courses though, one of the lads here always changes it over to the bump n go, cant abide by the other head at all. At least he has learned to change it back to "my" one when hes done with it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stubby said:

I use no guard and an Oregon Jet Fit head so no friction welding occurs .

Now I'm definitely not known for fitting every possible guard to every bit of every machine, but I wouldn't fancy using a strimmer without a guard. When you see our American friends on Youtube, they all seem to be unguarded as well. Give me a bump'n'Go with a guard on every time. Each to his own. 

7 minutes ago, Peter 1955 said:

Now I'm definitely not known for fitting every possible guard to every bit of every machine, but I wouldn't fancy using a strimmer without a guard. When you see our American friends on Youtube, they all seem to be unguarded as well. Give me a bump'n'Go with a guard on every time. Each to his own. 

As you say . Each to his own .  The only real time it is a disadvantage is when you encounter fox shit . Other than that its way better . I can run the 4.00 mm lines at about 9 inches long each .  . Have you tried no guard ?

Edited by Stubby

7 minutes ago, Stubby said:

As you say . Each to his own .  The only real time it is a disadvantage is when you encounter fox shit . Other than that its way better . I can run the 4.00 mm lines at about 9 inches long each .  . Have you tried no guard ?

Short answer, no. Long answer, I can get covered in enough green, brown and multi coloured stuff as it is with a guard on, so I don't fancy adding to the detritus on my clothes by dispensing with it. 

I suspect that may elicit a reply along the lines of " don't knock it till you've tried it", but so be it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, adw said:

Increasing cord length does not always increase productivity, for every additional inch of cord pulled out you loose 1000rpm off the engine speed so lower gearbox speed and increased engine temperature.

55cc spins 9 inch line just fine . Once it gets down to about 7 inches or less its starts to rev too high   IMHO .  A few hundred rpm it not going to make any difference to productivity if you can still swing the machine at the same rate  and it can only get faster , never slower .  

• Like 1

On 11/07/2021 at 13:03, doobin said:

I find the friction welding is with ‘bad batches’ of cord. Had a terrible time with it once, bought a new reel of the same, problem solved. 

Don't leave cord out best is keep it tucked away moist my techni blades are in a sealable plastic box which i put the sponges in then some water.

UV will make it brittle!