Best brush cutters/clearing saws?

Alright folks.

I generally don't get involved in best saw type threads, as everyone has a different opinion.

Been offered 12ha of scrub clearance on restock sites and my old strimmer, while big enough is old and not so realiable now.

And the shaft finally gave way last week.

Wot are the best models out there at the moment for fairly heavy work?

I have to admit I know almost bugger all about them.

A mate advised a husky 555, and got the chance of a new 545 for wot should be a good price ( as been sitting in the stores for a good while forgotten about) just worried not man enough for the job.

Cheers for any advice.

7 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Alright folks.

I generally don't get involved in best saw type threads, as everyone has a different opinion.

Been offered 12ha of scrub clearance on restock sites and my old strimmer, while big enough is old and not so realiable now.

And the shaft finally gave way last week.

Wot are the best models out there at the moment for fairly heavy work?

I have to admit I know almost bugger all about them.

A mate advised a husky 555, and got the chance of a new 545 for wot should be a good price ( as been sitting in the stores for a good while forgotten about) just worried not man enough for the job.

Cheers for any advice.

How much is the 545? only issues if been hanging around is shitty fuel ruining engine as friend bought a nice 343 that had sat for while had to go into dealer and have carb and bits replaced as fuel gums innards up and water in E5 ethanol causes issues hardens rubber parts.

555 is good also the Stihl 460/490/560 560 is the daddy for clearance with blades lots of grunt and blades work machines hard so always grease every day as the head can get dam hot!

What's the old Machine? can be worth repairing as a back up!

As my friend found out when doing commercial need to have back ups and maintain kit not just leave when comes to winter then think about starting in new season then find Fooked up!

Headed down to a site in Butt end of Cornwall both the Scythe mower and his brushcutter called it quits so a not just lost day but travelling twice.

Now he listening! Back up strimmer, parts for scythe mower ie belts,decent fuel mix bottle and measure,plus taking to bits and cleaning mowers before storing away plus regular maintenance on all! along with tools etc to fix in field as best can.

12ha strimming... can a sit on ride rough cut on not fit between the trees  terrain isn't suitable?

Good vid on re-spacing regen

Alsways though these pole saws looked good for  denser scrub? Gorse blackthorn thickets etc..

• Like 1

No the 545 is brand new still n box unused or PDI, just sitting in the back of his store, he used to sell them.

Just worried might be a touch under powered, and not really much lighter

Aye my van is well kitted out for saws, with all sort s of spares and tools, usually has 6 or so saws in it most days, plus the other assorted crap i carry, smll winch, 2x bottle jacks, box of wedges etc.

Even up the wood i generally carry a spare bar and chain with me most days

Just new to this brush cutting carry on, done bits and bobs for others with there machines but never really paid much intreset in the models.

I will fix my stihl up, i bought it at auction years ago, been an ex council or roads dept so will have done a bit by the look at it.

Until mnow been fine for me, never really missed a beat, but wasnae being worked hard either

I think it is a 460, althou i have to admit the number was always worn off on the starter, is there anywhere else on stihls where the serial number or model number?

Aye the back pack saw looks ok, but also looks an experienced operator too, which always makes things look easier/better, bit of a 1 trick pony.

With the strimeer u can still cut grass etc, as still need something at my own bit to strim with

Just me but I think you need less power for a mulching blade and more power for fat line ( eg 4.0mm )  I run the mulching blade on the 545RX and the fat line on the 555RX .  With the blade the inertia keeps it going ( the big fly wheel affect ) .

• Like 3

Hope you are using the correct guard and supporting bracket to support the tube that end, the problem with high power and trimmer cord is friction welding of the cord in the trimmer head resulting in constant cord breakage, we used to call the mulch blade death on a stick.

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

Just me but I think you need less power for a mulching blade and more power for fat line ( eg 4.0mm )  I run the mulching blade on the 545RX and the fat line on the 555RX .  With the blade the inertia keeps it going ( the big fly wheel affect ) .

I agree entirely. Was just thinking that this afternoon, while knocking down some long stuff. Once the blade is up to speed, it takes some stopping, while the line has virtually no momentum. 

• Like 1

On 09/07/2021 at 21:04, adw said:

Hope you are using the correct guard and supporting bracket to support the tube that end, the problem with high power and trimmer cord is friction welding of the cord in the trimmer head resulting in constant cord breakage, we used to call the mulch blade death on a stick.

I use no guard and an Oregon Jet Fit head so no friction welding occurs . IMG_20170619_180545.thumb.jpg.f192e5c3c9076e7cb35bc987f91b090a.jpg

• Like 1