jonsered 625

apvinny

hi all i have just bought a 625 in a job lot bundle with other things.compression is good 150 but i have a small leak in the intake boot its just not sealing up. i eased it off to have a look and all is ok now i can't get the blimming thing back on.it looks like the only way is to lift the barrel up and is there a better way to seal the boot other than the wire clip.i haven't got it started yet but everything is there to start but it just won't even with fuel straight down the plug,        thanks vince

Edited by apvinny

Firstly pop off he top cover, take the spark plug out, push it back in to the cap, earth it on the cylinder away from the hole (it can ignite fuel vapour), make sure the stop switch is on and pull the saw over hard and see if the plug sparks. If it does, you can try an old plug with the end electrode bent out and away from the central one and see if that sparks. If it does, it is probably OK.

If you get no spark, about all you can do is check for some continuity between the coils if you have the two part coil fitted and measure the continuity from the HT cap to earth, you should get some sort of reading if the HT line is OK.

There is no real way to test a coil with a multimeter, all you can do is make sure the wires give some sort of reading to earth meaning they are making contact.

If you have no spark, also try using printer paper to regap the coil to flywheel, just make sure it isn't clouting the coil as it spins. Often magnets can lose their magnetism and this can rejuvinate the spark.

Non spark could also be a dodgy spark plug!

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 2

ok great i have spark cant fire it up as its in bits for full clean and degunk.i am still worried about how to get this intake boot on and the air leak i have around the cylinder lip where the boot goes on as the wire clip is not holding well enough.the picture on internet shows a plastic cliip with a screw which looks better.i dont want to buy any parts yet because if i [we] lol cant find a solution to that then i think the rebuild is pointless as i will have a permanent air leak from the off.

• Like 1

The best way is to get all that dirt away from the cylinder base with a paint brush, white spirit and a compressor. Remove the muffler and carb, pop the jug off and then seal the manifold on correctly. The IPL shows some sort of square jubilee clip, yours may have some sort of bodged home made affair. A clip like this, if you can get it still will be a couple of quid only.

If you are getting a bit of leakage, you could try liquid gasket. The air leak won't stop the machine running unless it is very excessive where it kills primary compression and vacuum in the crankcase.

• Like 1