Which chainsaw to get?

Gav73

On 04/07/2021 at 17:11, Jack.P said:

Stihl 261 is a good all rounder upto 18’’ .i didn’t score the 391 highly it was underpowered for the weight 

It is, dunno why i just bought 550xpg 😣  anyway, anything without full wrap handles is a pussy saw. K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

donttellthewifedonttellthewifedonttellthewifedonttel....... oh poo...she's not colour blind.

Listed as amazon as the seller not somewhere abroad yet it did one of those price variations i put down to exchange rate changes....and dropped to £269.51 😲😲😲

I hit buy.  I mean, that is an astoundingly cheap price.  5 left lads....go on....make me see I'm no weaker than most men!

I now have a nicely looked after ms180 going spare, with some spare chains.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I notice its got a pussycat. I assume I should remove that, add about an 8mm-10mm hole to the muffler, pop the flywheel and shave 0.25mm off the key, refit, pop the limitters and then twiddle the high screw out a bit?

• Like 2

I notice its got a pussycat. I assume I should remove that, add about an 8mm-10mm hole to the muffler, pop the flywheel and shave 0.25mm off the key, refit, pop the limitters and then twiddle the high screw out a bit?
I've never shaved a flywheel - guess that's up to you. but certainly worth getting the cat out. From memory once that's happened the outlet is plenty big enough
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, neiln said:

Done the cat on mine and it does make a noticable difference,but went well before anyway

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, neiln said:

Good to hear.  How much did you open it after gutting? 

Did you bother with timing advance too?  They should give a little more.

Oh and does the carb have limiters as stock?

Didn,t do timing and carb doesn,t have limiters,but maybe Andrew(Shavey) had sorted that because he had run it up before i had it,just tweaked screws a bit and she was flying

• Like 2

6 hours ago, billpierce said:
7 hours ago, neiln said:

I've never shaved a flywheel - guess that's up to you. but certainly worth getting the cat out. From memory once that's happened the outlet is plenty big enough

No I've never done that on a standard saw but wes went the whole hog on my makita 

Including lightening the flywheel and porting

And it's a fantastic runner 

• Like 1