Which chainsaw to get?

Gav73

1 hour ago, Jack.P said:

Stihl 261 is a good all rounder upto 18’’ .i didn’t score the 391 highly it was underpowered for the weight 

Think the 391 is a " clam shell " design and a semi pro/farmer saw . so would be that way .

I guess it depends on the diameter for firewood you are cutting. I tend to split mine first where I can and cut it later once it is dry. I am tending to go to a Qualcast battery saw (about 650W) over the MS181 (which needs a service and tune up) for what is already split - more neighbour friendly too.

First question might be what is your budget?

How big are the logs that you normally get (diameter), that might get you a better answer and reading this we all like what we use and very few have a wide range of saw to make a fair comparison. It might be that you'll get a couple of answers "Oh my saw will struggle to do that size".

Lastly how many do you cut at once? A full day cutting logs or 20 minutes on a Sunday morning type of thing?

I guess it depends on the diameter for firewood you are cutting. I tend to split mine first where I can and cut it later once it is dry. I am tending to go to a Qualcast battery saw (about 650W) over the MS181 (which needs a service and tune up) for what is already split - more neighbour friendly too.

First question might be what is your budget?

How big are the logs that you normally get (diameter), that might get you a better answer and reading this we all like what we use and very few have a wide range of saw to make a fair comparison. It might be that you'll get a couple of answers "Oh my saw will struggle to do that size".

Lastly how many do you cut at once? A full day cutting logs or 20 minutes on a Sunday morning type of thing?

Budget-wise I’d happily pay for a decent saw. I don’t have a fixed number in mind. But I’m not going to go stupid and buy something l like a 500i.

The diameter of the logs varies massively, it really depends what the local tree surgeons are dealing with at the time. Biggest I think I’ve had was about 4’ in diameter, but that didn’t need cutting any smaller as it was already cut into a round that could be picked up. I would say the normal ones I cut up are between 1’ and 2’ in diameter.

I tend to rotate what I’m doing and stick to one task at a time, whether that’s cutting, splitting or stacking. So when I’m cutting it’s a full day of cutting.

So a battery saw is out then - not enough charge to last a day or a morning of just cutting without a lot of battery power

I guess you would need 14" to 20" bar then? which at that budget is about what you'd get.... however narrows down what people might suggest 

40 minutes ago, neiln said:

Idontneedoneidontneedoneidontne. Ohhhh!  Amazon have the kita43 for £283.  Very tempting!!!;.  Only problem is it comes with a 'Var' but no bar 😂

That price is hard to ignore!

Good price that,press that button and buy it👍

• Like 1