Which chainsaw to get?

Gav73

Thought I’d throw this one out there to see what everyone’s views are.

I’m currently running an MS391 for cutting logs to length before splitting. I like the power and the speed it rips though the logs, but the weight isn’t great when I use it for a long period of time.

I have a MS181 as a back up, a good saw, but is miles behind the MS391 for efficiency.

What back up saw would everyone recommend?

Husqvarna 550 and 560 with 15inch bars are my go to saws for firewood. Both nice and light, comfortable to hold and very fast to get up to speed. 

The 550 is obviously lighter but I would go for the 560 if you want a longer bar or do a lot of rings.

Over 20inch bar I use a 572 which has plenty of power but still handles like a smaller saw.

• Like 2

If you are near mains a corded one is handy for small/meduim diameter logs and will cut faster  than ms181 as more power

HUSQVARNA 420EL or Makita UC4051A are rated 2kw cut considerably faster than the ms181 (1.5kw)

The makita also ea4300 another option...

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gav73 said:

Some good options. Corded isn’t an option as no power near where I cut. Kind of thinking 20” bar to match the MS391 would be handy

962EFAF0-FE89-4D28-8961-4C0C54BE96EA.thumb.jpeg.6c4414a81a8a0e8329611d73c3ed7493.jpegMakita 4300 andDolmar 6100,both great saws and good price 

• Like 1